Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I have a problem on my iPhone 4 (iOS 7) that iMessages turns itself off from time to time. I noticed that this happens when I've had the internet turned off for a while. I rarely connect it to Wifi, and I turn off the 3G for health reasons. I use the iPad most of the time on Wifi anyway.

But sometimes I do use the internet on the iPhone, and then in order to receive the iMessages, I've got to reactivate it after I've reactivated the internet. This is quite annoying, also it's quite messy because messages get lost and come in different order, and some don't get send from my phone number etc.

Is there a solution for this, except having the internet turned on all the time?

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
What is there to elaborate? It's known to be bad for health. Unless you live in China or the USA. Then it isn't. :D

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
But you carry your phone with you anyway so your exposure level will still be there.... Yes having data on can increase this marginally but honestly you get more radiation from walking around outside that from your phone.

Anyway to your issue. Your best bet is to just turn iMessage off then there will be no issues with missed messages etc. regardless of the data being on or off sms will come through without an issue

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I never carry the phone in my pocket. :)

If I turn it off, the problem is that when I send a message (from my Mac or iPad), it would send it from my email address. I think that's because my iPhone is not "connected" to my other devices, and thus I can't make calls from the Mac or iPad. I would need an iPhone with iOS 8 I believe, which I am thinking of getting.

I'm wondering if that would solve the problem then. Because the phone number would be registered in my iPad then. So it would send messages from my iPad from my phone number I suppose, even if the data is set to off on my iPhone. But I'm not sure about this…

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
If iMessage is off on your iPhone the number won't be available on your iPad or Mac. Just turn data on ;) I've got kids and my phones always by my bits

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.