Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cap024

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2018
Has anyone noticed that phone numbers under the same Apple ID come up in one thread?

My kids are under my apple id and there texts all come in under one thread. the same thing for my brother and sister in law. They are under one apple id and their texts come in under one thread. All of them have seperate phone numbers that they are texting from.

In order for me to respond to each one, I have to delete the main text and send it seperatly but then once they respond it all comes up again under the same threat. so fusterating.

yass31

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2017
FR
It's because their numbers are attached to the same Apple ID and iMessage is active. Once it is, there is no difference as if you're iMessaging the Apple ID, the number 1 or the number 2. For Apple it's like you're messaging yourself in a way.

The only solution is to create an Apple ID for each person.
For you kids you can set up iCloud Family Sharing, so then can get purchases made with your ID without paying again and much more control for you ... Here's more info about it : https://www.apple.com/family-sharing/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.