Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hlyi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
My cMP5,1 had sleep problem (couldn't wake from sleep), after replacing the power supply, it could wake up normally. I had new problem:
After computer reboot, it can enter sleep mode normally. However, after waking up, it couldn't go to sleep normally until next reboot.

symptom 1: after putting cMP into sleep mode, the power LED starts to dim, but computer immediately woke up, and power LED became solid white. syslog shows:
2020-05-17 15:16:08.878794-0500 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: EHC1
2020-05-17 15:16:08.878796-0500 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: EHC1
2020-05-17 15:18:45.918909-0500 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: (Network)
2020-05-17 15:18:45.918911-0500 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: (Network)
The first two lines shows first time cMP leaving sleep mode (woke up by USB keyboard, which behaved as expected)
The next two lines shows cMP woke up immediately. BTW, "Wake for network access" is unchecked in Energy Saver Preferences

Symptom 2: right after reboot, it could shut down properly. But after waking up from sleep, shutdown causes it to reboot instead of power off ( yes, it can shut down proper after reboot as long as it didn't go to sleep again).

Could anyone provide clues on how to debug this problem?

Thanks in advance!

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I have these settings and if I turn the power off for any reason and then put it back on it restarts (because of the last setting). My guess is if you have it on and you have a panic of sort or even failing PSU (I had that before) it will shutdown and restart.
1589770472173.png

I replaced the PSU and also use OC+ hibernationfixup.kext and all is excellent. Sleeps as it is set up and wakes, when I want it to.

hlyi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
@startergo Thanks for sharing your settings. I have second and third options unchecked. Basically, the problem is after first sleep, the second and subsequent sleeps don't work, everything else works as expected, I didn't see any panic either. BTW, are you using OC + hibernationfixup for real MacPro5? What's the benefit of using them?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
@startergo Thanks for sharing your settings. I have second and third options unchecked. Basically, the problem is after first sleep, the second and subsequent sleeps don't work, everything else works as expected, I didn't see any panic either. BTW, are you using OC + hibernationfixup for real MacPro5? What's the benefit of using them?
OC provides multiple benefits.
1 you have a boot screen on non EFI video card.
2. You can easy update Catalina.
3. You can get hardware acceleration working meaning you can decide/encode HEVC video using the Video card instead of the CPU.
4. You can fix the hibernation.

Reactions: ScreenSavers
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.