Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inflex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
Australia
Just installed a new drive in to an existing 2013 iMac 27" and I see it's limited to Catalina (10.15.7), no problem at all, but I'd like to install iMovie on it but alas the App store requests that I need at least BigSur, which of course I cannot update to it seems :(

Do I have any alternative options for acquiring iMovie 10.1.x ? I saw there were a few download sites but they seemed scammy at best. I tried with support.apple.com/downloads but looked like there was only patches/updates for iMovie 9/8/7 present.

Failing being able to get iMovie on this machine, is there a similarly simple/straight-forward option I can move it?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
In the App Store, view purchased apps, click on iMovie’s download button and you will get this message “The current version requires macOS 11.5.1 or later, but you can download the last compatible version.” and the option to Download.
https://support.apple.com/guide/app-store/view-and-manage-purchased-apps-fir4cbb7ae76/3.0/mac/10.15
imovie.jpg

inflex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
Australia
In the App Store, view purchased apps, click on iMovie’s download button and you will get this message “The current version requires macOS 11.5.1 or later, but you can download the last compatible version.” and the option to Download.
https://support.apple.com/guide/app-store/view-and-manage-purchased-apps-fir4cbb7ae76/3.0/mac/10.15
View attachment 2069201
Sadly that version doesn't come up on this system. I also checked in prior purchases, and there was only the one item available. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I’ve just tried in Catalina 10.15.7 and it downloads iMovie 10.2.5, the last compatible version according to Apple.
Is there a reason you want iMovie 10.1.x?

inflex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
Australia
I try it here on Catalina 10.15.7 and in the App store it shows me immediately below the 3.7 *star rating the message;

"Requires macOS 11.5.1 or later".

If I click on the "Get" icon, it'll transition to "Install" and it'll then pop-up "We could not complete your purchase" - "iMovie cannot be intalled on your iMac because macOS version 11.5.1 or later is required."

I'm certainly stumped.

IMG_4105.jpg

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
You are not logged-in the App Store or you haven’t downloaded iMovie on that account before?
Otherwise, open the App Store, click on your name in the lower-left corner, a list of your purchased apps opens, click on iMovie’s download button.
Here’s an edited video of the process

inflex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
Australia
I'm going to say it's the "Hasn't been downloaded before" aspect that's tripping things up. I wonder, if I download it via a BigSur system if it'll become an option on this Catalina system - time to go discover/explore.

Thank you for taking the time to detail the information for me. Appeciated.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I wonder, if I download it via a BigSur system if it'll become an option on this Catalina system - time to go discover/explore.
Yes, “purchase” iMovie in Big Sur and it will be available in Catalina too.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
I'm going to say it's the "Hasn't been downloaded before" aspect that's tripping things up. I wonder, if I download it via a BigSur system if it'll become an option on this Catalina system - time to go discover/explore.

Thank you for taking the time to detail the information for me. Appeciated.
At least on iOS/iPadOS it behaves exactly like you are describing it.
Pretty stupid to go through all of that just to “unlock“ the old version again.

inflex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
Australia
I have done the "purchase" and installed it on another Macbook - still waiting for it to show up on the iMac Catalina. Maybe it'll take a bit of time ( I've logged out of the App store, logged back in, also rebooted the machine as well ).

I'll report back on how things go in the next 12 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.