Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doc Horrorshow

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
London
I've been told pressing the 'M' adds a marker. It doesn't. I need to mark a particular moment in my timeline, why isn't this a simple process?

Doc Horrorshow

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
London
I've been told pressing the 'M' adds a marker. It doesn't. I need to mark a particular moment in my timeline, why isn't this a simple process?
Oh and if somebody can tell me how do I see my audio soundtrack for each clip? (Please see attached screenshot). Seriously this version of iMovie is so un-intuitive!
Screen.jpg

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Markers should work by dragging your timeline to the point where you want to insert the marker and hitting M on your keyboard. Here is a link to a video that explains it. I have also posted a screenshot to show it. Your audio is possibly hidden and can be shown by clicking on the film icon in the far right center of your screenshot. This will open a small menu allowing you to check the box on Audio: Show Waveforms. This should allow your audio to show. Or you can go Menu>View>Show Waveforms. Here is a link to a video explaining it. Posted screenshots to show you. Hope this helps you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 7.32.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 7.32.37 AM.png
    323.4 KB · Views: 950
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 7.57.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 7.57.17 AM.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 477
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 8.10.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 8.10.44 AM.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 498
Reactions: Doc Horrorshow

Doc Horrorshow

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
London
Thanks, that's
Markers should work by dragging your timeline to the point where you want to insert the marker and hitting M on your keyboard. Here is a link to a video that explains it. I have also posted a screenshot to show it. Your audio is possibly hidden and can be shown by clicking on the film icon in the far right center of your screenshot. This will open a small menu allowing you to check the box on Audio: Show Waveforms. This should allow your audio to show. Or you can go Menu>View>Show Waveforms. Here is a link to a video explaining it. Posted screenshots to show you. Hope this helps you.
Many thanks, that's very useful. I'm stuck tho, cos my screen is showing the timeline under a central larger preview window (as per my screenshot earlier), can you tell me how do I change the screen to the layout shown in your screenshot?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Thanks, that's

Many thanks, that's very useful. I'm stuck tho, cos my screen is showing the timeline under a central larger preview window (as per my screenshot earlier), can you tell me how do I change the screen to the layout shown in your screenshot?

Just double-click on one of your clips in the timeline. Should show it the way my screen is laid out.

Doc Horrorshow

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
London
Thanks but still nothing, here's my screen. I'm double-clicking the one outlined in yellow to no avail :-(

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Thanks but still nothing, here's my screen. I'm double-clicking the one outlined in yellow to no avail :-(

It looks like you have not created an Event as of yet if I am correct. The additional window I am showing is the Event window. It looks like you have just imported the video into your Timeline. If that is the case, you will not be able to see the Event window. You must create an Event first, then add the clips to the Event.

Here is a great half hour video on the basics of iMovie. Take the time to watch it. It will be really helpful to you. iMovie is not as intuitive as it used to be. Version 10 on up is a lot different than past versions. There are literally thousands of decent YouTube video tutorials to help you. Only a suggestion. Please do not take this in the wrong way.

Last edited:

Doc Horrorshow

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
London
It looks like you have not created an Event as of yet if I am correct. The additional window I am showing is the Event window. It looks like you have just imported the video into your Timeline. If that is the case, you will not be able to see the Event window. You must create an Event first, then add the clips to the Event.

Here is a great half hour video on the basics of iMovie. Take the time to watch it. It will be really helpful to you. iMovie is not as intuitive as it used to be. Version 10 on up is a lot different than past versions. There are literally thousands of decent YouTube video tutorials to help you. Only a suggestion. Please do not take this in the wrong way.
You're a gent. I shall try just that. Thanks again.
DH

Doc Horrorshow

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
London
You are welcome and I hope this all helps. Please do not hesitate to ask though if you get stuck. Many experienced users of iMovie here at MacRumors.
Hi, I've cracked the editing side of things with your help but I'm now trying to share my files to "File" in ProRes quality but am getting the error message "Cannot export file". It's for burning to a BD disk so I need the best quality, can you offer any suggestions?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Hi, I've cracked the editing side of things with your help but I'm now trying to share my files to "File" in ProRes quality but am getting the error message "Cannot export file". It's for burning to a BD disk so I need the best quality, can you offer any suggestions?

Have not personally run into this problem myself. But from what I have researched it could be a couple of things. It could be the way you have it Titled. Try using a simple title without any hyphens or dashes, just straight type. Could also be that you do not have enough room on your HDD, if it is a large export. Hopefully some other members can offer you some other suggestions.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I found iMovie X to be a brilliant piece of software. Its more usable than Final cut X, and its quite close in its abilities.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
Oh and if somebody can tell me how do I see my audio soundtrack for each clip? (Please see attached screenshot). Seriously this version of iMovie is so un-intuitive!
View attachment 579944
Seven years later using a Duck Duck Go search, looking to see “if” or “how” to insert a marker in the iPadOS version of iMovie, I found this thread. I can’t help but laugh thinkings things haven’t gotten a any more intuitive over the last 7 years. 😂

Bkallen

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2020
Seven years later using a Duck Duck Go search, looking to see “if” or “how” to insert a marker in the iPadOS version of iMovie, I found this thread. I can’t help but laugh thinkings things haven’t gotten a any more intuitive over the last 7 years. 😂
You too 🤝

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.