Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vincisomething

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2014
TL;DR I can't get iMovie, so I need an alternative (that is free and 10.7.5 compatible). Any suggestions? Operative word being free. It doesn't have to be the best, I just need something where I can upload a video, put a song in the background and play the video on fast foward while the song plays (like a time lapse).

Something happened to my computer and I had to reset it. I realized that some apps I had before - iMovie, Garage Band- were no longer on my computer. I can't accept the app bundle. However, at the same time, it doesn't give me the option to purchase it (not that I want to... I had it for free before and now I'd have to pay $15). Nothing about this makes sense. It tells me my only option is to just accept the app, but when I try, it does absolutely nothing- not even error pop-up windows- the button's basically a dud. And at the same time, if I did want to just buy it, it doesn't even give me that option. No matter how I look at it, I can't get iMovie, which is absolutely aggravating because I want to use a video editing program for something.

Last edited:

Frank Maxwell

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2015
TL;DR I can't get iMovie, so I need an alternative (that is free and 10.7.5 compatible). Any suggestions?

Something happened to my computer and I had to reset it. I realized that some apps I had before - iMovie, Garage Band- were no longer on my computer. I can't accept the app bundle. However, at the same time, it doesn't give me the option to purchase it (not that I want to... I had it for free before and now I'd have to pay $15). Nothing about this makes sense. It tells me my only option is to just accept the app, but when I try, it does absolutely nothing- not even error pop-up windows- the button's basically a dud. And at the same time, if I did want to just buy it, it doesn't even give me that option. No matter how I look at it, I can't get iMovie, which is absolutely aggravating because I want to use a video editing program for something.
If you bought iMovie you should get it. Can you tell us what Apple software you are using?

coldsweat

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Grimsby, UK
The free version is only 720p & it may be over the top, but you could try Lightworks

Your iMovie download issue sounds like it could be a problem with the 'highly reliable' Mac App Store - have a look on the Apple support discussions & you may find a solution!!!!

Todor

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2016
Texas
Not sure with the iMovie download problem...if you need an alternative, try Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro.

Vincisomething

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2014
If you bought iMovie you should get it. Can you tell us what Apple software you are using?
Macbook Pro 10.7.5. I used to run on a 10.6.8 (and it came with the computer), but the reset updated my macbook pro, I guess. Before, it ran fine on the 10.6.8, but now I can't even get it. I'm thinking it's because it now runs on 10.10.something, but I had it before, which is why I don't why I can't accept it.
[doublepost=1453137454][/doublepost]
Not sure with the iMovie download problem...if you need an alternative, try Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro.
I'm too stingy to even pay fro iMovie lol.
[doublepost=1453137491][/doublepost]
The free version is only 720p & it may be over the top, but you could try Lightworks

Your iMovie download issue sounds like it could be a problem with the 'highly reliable' Mac App Store - have a look on the Apple support discussions & you may find a solution!!!!
I originally tried posting this question to Apple Support, but I couldn't post for some reason! I'll try again today.

Todor

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2016
Texas
I'm too stingy to even pay fro iMovie lol.
[doublepost=1453137491][/doublepost]
I originally tried posting this question to Apple Support, but I couldn't post for some reason! I'll try again today.
lol...free, well...Yes, I agree, you'd better turn to :apple: support. But don't forget to share the problem reason and solution here when you're back.;)

Last edited:

bent christian

Suspended
Nov 5, 2015
I have used OpenShot in Linux in the past. It's pretty good. No frills. There is supposed to be a 2.0 OSX version being released soon. They only have the older Linux installers posted on the site right now.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
I have used OpenShot in Linux in the past. It's pretty good. No frills. There is supposed to be a 2.0 OSX version being released soon. They only have the older Linux installers posted on the site right now.
I tried OpenShot recently, but it has troubles with titles. It requires Inkscape for plain titles and Blender for animated titles. I’ve only troubleshot the animated titles so far. I’ve tried different file paths for Blender, but it doesn’t work with any of the paths I’ve provided. I did some research and found out that the issue is caused by changes in the Blender API. The only way for an end-user to resolve the problem is to use Blender 2.62, which is only for OS X 10.5 and won’t work in El Capitan. The best solution would be for the developers to include the requisite parts of Blender and Inkscape in OpenShot. Until this issue is resolved, OpenShot won’t be a viable alternative to iMovie. Well, unless you use make titles in iMovie, render them, and then use them in OpenShot.

dorsal

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
Quicktime will do what you need to do, it's free, but will not be as easy as iMovie. It will take some googling to learn.
If $15 is too steep for you, maybe you should get another hobby.
Programmers are people who write code for a living.
Assuming you work for a living, how would you like to work for free?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Older discussion, but I have the same problem with Pixelmator. Others on the support site have similar problems with one app or another. It seems that if the app store thinks you returned the app and was refunded, it sometimes won't let you update or even buy it again... kinda catch 22.

I originally received Pixelmator as part of introductory offer, so it was purchased, but had some problems with downloads from the app store. Eventually that was fixed via the developer's site and the app store customer service cancelled my order.

Fast forward a few months and updates start to be issued. According to mother apple I'm not allowed to have them (or some of them) as the app order was cancelled (I did get a few anyway). Last I checked six months ago, there was nothing apple could do about it, didn't appear to be anyway to reset the refund status. Although pixelmator is a great product and I use it often for photo repair, good thing I don't depend on it.

I now have this notification I can't get rid of that Pixelmator has an update available, as when I ask for the update, it fails. The notification never gets reset. (I've turned off app store notifications so it doesn't annoy me day to day :) )

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.