Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darkstar1138

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Hello All,

To start, I'll say that I'm a YouTuber and have been creating video content for my channel since 2013 using one of two iMacs. I started with a late 2011 i5 model, and moved to a late 2015 i7 model, which has 32GB of RAM and a 4TB Samsung SSD (replaced original hybrid drive after the Seagate took a dump (like ALL Seagates eventually do)), and the dual Radeon 395M GPU's.

In previous years, exporting video was a breeze and usually took between 30 minutes, and in some cases up to 1 hour. I generally create about 1 hour of gameplay footage per video. Ever sincel the OSX update, and I can't remember offhand if it was the 2020 update or the 2021 update, iMovie has been SLOW. It might take me an hour and 30 minutes to render out the same 1 hour videos that I used to output in less time.

So I began to look at CPU or GPU usage, and it looks like I'm only using anywhere from 20% to sometimes 50% of my CPU, and I can't figure out a way to monitor my GPU usage.

Now I'm pretty much a chard when it comes to Mac stuff. I bought them for the ease of using Photoshop 10+ years ago, and I really enjoy the iMovie experience over simple editors on PC. I'd really like to stick with iMovie, but upgrading to a new iMac is just ridiculous. It would cost me in the range of $6,500 to build a close to top-end Mac Studio (since I want a 27" screen and not the smaller iMac screen that is ONLY available now).

I just want to know if there is some way to make iMovie use the full capabilities of my CPU and/or GPU like it originally did?

Alternatively, I could use FCPX, which I do own, but don't use very often because of the increased complexity.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

lin2log

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
Right. So a whopping 640 pixels less on the current iMac vs yours is going to completely ruin any and all usability. Got it. Never mind that the iMac monitor is exponentially better than anything you could possibly buy for some Mac Studio (that doesn't cost more than the Mac itself). We'll just focus on PIXELS. What could be more relevant?

And sure, someone using a vastly inferior Intel iMac for nearly 10 years suddenly needs a "close to top-end Mac Studio" as a replacement. As if you couldn't in fact simply e.g. connect an additional 27" monitor to the iMac and have a more-than-enough system for over $4000 less. Or even an MBP with an XDR (AND an external) display for less. Not to forget the missing camera, microphones, any speakers (worth mentioning), Touch ID, etc., etc. Nope. Gotta configure something for the sake of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Seems totally reasonable.

I don't know that iMovie has gotten slower—actually as opposed to faster—nor why it should. There are also plenty of GPU monitoring utilities out there. Maybe try a clean install. An old Mac like that will have endless baggage otherwise.

Darkstar1138

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Right. So a whopping 640 pixels less on the current iMac vs yours is going to completely ruin any and all usability. Got it. Never mind that the iMac monitor is exponentially better than anything you could possibly buy for some Mac Studio (that doesn't cost more than the Mac itself). We'll just focus on PIXELS. What could be more relevant?

And sure, someone using a vastly inferior Intel iMac for nearly 10 years suddenly needs a "close to top-end Mac Studio" as a replacement. As if you couldn't in fact simply e.g. connect an additional 27" monitor to the iMac and have a more-than-enough system for over $4000 less. Or even an MBP with an XDR (AND an external) display for less. Not to forget the missing camera, microphones, any speakers (worth mentioning), Touch ID, etc., etc. Nope. Gotta configure something for the sake of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Seems totally reasonable.

I don't know that iMovie has gotten slower—actually as opposed to faster—nor why it should. There are also plenty of GPU monitoring utilities out there. Maybe try a clean install. An old Mac like that will have endless baggage otherwise.

Thank you for your completely useless and utterly pointless reply... #smh Such a waste of my time, and yours.

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
You don't need a close to top end mac studio, for your needs a 16GB M1 mini will be great! Get a good screen and enjoy the speedy ride.

Darkstar1138

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
You don't need a close to top end mac studio, for your needs a 16GB M1 mini will be great! Get a good screen and enjoy the speedy ride.
I don't NEED a new Mac, period. My old one was working PERFECTLY until something changed. As I said, I could render projects easily in 30 to 45 minutes, and in the past year, it can take anywhere from 1 to 2 hours. AND my Mac isn't even coming close to utilizing 100% CPU or GPU usage. According to Activity Monitor, I'm using less than 22% of my CPU, and only about 11% of my GPU while rendering out an iMovie video, which I'm actually doing right this moment.

It should be using 100% of my system so I can pump out my content. I'm asking for help in figuring out what the F is going on here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.