Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

efoster7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2020
Can you tell me why my portrait video is small on YouTube when viewing on a mobile phone? I created a video on my MacBook Pro through iMovie. Once it finished uploading I wanted to watch it on my phone on YouTube. I click full screen and the video is tiny, like in a small box. How do I fixed this issue? Is there something I could do in iMovie

EditorsKeysUK

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2020
Manchester UK and USA
Hey,

You need to make sure you film in landscape, otherwise you will always end up with the black bars on the edges.
If you want it to be Portraight, iMovie cannot edit portrait videos so you'd best to try Final Cut Pro X or even Premiere Rush on an iPhone or iPad as these are great for editing portrait videos.

EditorsKeysUK

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2020
Manchester UK and USA
Yes it can.
Yes but this isn't native portrait video editing. What I mean is you could edit together a video for an Instagram story without the black bars on the side. Editing this way is just putting a portrait video into a normal widescreen 16.9 video. (ideally you do not want the black bars on.) Premiere Rush can do this.

Some devices will crop this out, but it's not perfect.
[automerge]1588107826[/automerge]
If you go to around 3.09 you'll see what I mean. Hope this helps! (You can get rush for Mac or iOS)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.