Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stokesy2626

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2022
Hi there!

I'm currently using a Macbook Pro (Mid 2010) 15", please see specs below:

2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB
Intel HD Graphics 288 MB

I'm also using iMovie 10.1.9 which is the latest update that my mac will allow me to install.

I'm have some really annoying issues where my playback is so laggy that it's not even viable for me to use. Once I drop a video into the timeline, if I try to play, it'll play for around 1-3 seconds then glitch/freeze and will never play properly. It's almost like it'll load up the first little bit of the video then just glitch. I've noticed that if I leave the program open then return after some time (15 minutes or so) it'll play back smoother but then if I drop another clip in, the same thing happens.

I recently upgraded my RAM as I initially thought this was the issue, turns out I was wrong. Could it be the graphics card? I've heard you can get external ones so I'm thinking of trying this however I'm unsure if this will resolve it.

Thank you very much for your time and I hope someone can help me get to the bottom of this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.