Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chazzee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2017
I’m wondering if anyone else has a similar issue of a stuttering timeline when scrolling an added video? I’m running the latest version of iMovie 2.3.3 on iPadOS 15.1 on a 2018 iPad Pro 11” (1st Gen), with plenty of space (48GB available). I’ve also done a complete iPad reset (erase all content and settings) with a fresh install of imovie and the same thing happens.

When adding any movie from icloud or files, either 1080p 30fps or 4K 30fps (originally filmed on an iPhone X), the timeline is jittery when scrolling, to the point that continued swipes left and right start to freeze the app. I’ve tried the same videos on iMovie on my iPhone X and this behaviour doesn’t happen, the scrolling is perfectly smooth.

So it seems like it’s unique to iMovie on the iPadOS. Could this be a software issue? It’s pretty much unusable in its current state.

Reactions: Mattlikeacat

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
For me iMovie on IPad is also bugged - several times had issues with exporting even with 100+ GB of free space. I left it for LumaFusion and it‘s even faster and has way more options. However it’s paid app :(

Mattlikeacat

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
Yes, I am also having this problem on my M1 iPad Pro 12.9 2021, ever since updating to IPados 15.1
When scrolling through clips it starts freezing up or stuttering. Have to restart it often. Have reported it to Apple, and done a diagnostic submission, but heard nothing.
Do you think it’s an update issue going up to 15.1?

chazzee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2017
Yes, I am also having this problem on my M1 iPad Pro 12.9 2021, ever since updating to IPados 15.1
When scrolling through clips it starts freezing up or stuttering. Have to restart it often. Have reported it to Apple, and done a diagnostic submission, but heard nothing.
Do you think it’s an update issue going up to 15.1?
That’s interesting to know thanks, I’m guessing it must be a software thing then as the M1 is powerful enough to handle any video thrown at it. Will have to wait and see if 15.2 resolves it or whether it needs to be an update to the iMovie app itself.

Alex van Es

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2020
I’m wondering if anyone else has a similar issue of a stuttering timeline when scrolling an added video? I’m running the latest version of iMovie 2.3.3 on iPadOS 15.1 on a 2018 iPad Pro 11” (1st Gen), with plenty of space (48GB available). I’ve also done a complete iPad reset (erase all content and settings) with a fresh install of imovie and the same thing happens.

When adding any movie from icloud or files, either 1080p 30fps or 4K 30fps (originally filmed on an iPhone X), the timeline is jittery when scrolling, to the point that continued swipes left and right start to freeze the app. I’ve tried the same videos on iMovie on my iPhone X and this behaviour doesn’t happen, the scrolling is perfectly smooth.

So it seems like it’s unique to iMovie on the iPadOS. Could this be a software issue? It’s pretty much unusable in its current state.
Glad to read your post.. having the same issue here with my M1 ipad pro.. it's a nighmare now to edit videos!

Galaxygirl81

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
Glad it’s not just us having these issues.

We have the 12.9 inch M1 iPad Pro and when trying to scrub though the timeline in iMovie it just stutters,gets stuck,lags.We have even had it it a few times where we have trimmed the time line,yet when you play it back it continues to play the full length of video,like you’ve not cut it.The only way to get around this is to quit the app and then go back in again,then it plays back with the edited bit removed.

It must be an iOS 15 issue as we also have a 12.9 inch 2017 iPad Pro running on iOS 14.6, and that runs smooth as silk with iMovie.

My partner is a Tech YouTuber,so I may get him to post a video up about the issue,it may get picked up by Apple or get others who are in the same boat to complain To Apple.

Alex van Es

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2020
I updated to the 15.2 beta but it doesnt fix the problem.
The imovie is almost unusable and I am in the middle of some edits. This really sucks big time. The problem started once i installed 15.1.. i didnt have the problem with 15.0.

Slappysan

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2021
Yup, Apple did it again. I'm so sick of their inability to downgrade versions. Now iMovie is unusable for me on my iPad Pro.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good Windows based video editor?

gongbone

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2020
I am having the same problem. I haven't edited much and am editing a video now and it's unbearable. Using M1 Pro 11". I previously had 2018 Pro and even with 4 GB memory, never happened, it edited butter smooth in iMovie. Now what? It actually is performing worse than ipad mini 5.

gongbone

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2020
I am having the same problem. I have been cutting a 1080p video and my M1 iPad Pro 11 inch is actually worse than ipad mini 5 timeline doing 4k, let alone 2018 Pro. Almost disgusting. No exaggeration at all.

auggius

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
I was having the same problem when editing large clips (3-4 GB) on my new iPad Pro 11" 2020 (iPadOS 15.2). I was used to smooth editing on my iPad 6th gen so I was annoyed to say the least that my shiny new toy was worse than my old one.

These are 75-80 minute long videos of my hockey games at 720p 60fps. But since switching my action cam to record in 10 minute segments (~550 MB), scrubbing through the timeline is smooth again. There are occasional times where it will lag for a second or so but not as frequently nor as long as it did before. Editing is fun again.

Galaxygirl81

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
iPadOS 15.3 has eventually sorted this issue.

Just updated our M1 iPad Pro and it now runs smooth again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.