Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
Good Day Folks,

I was just wondering if there any decent plugins for iMovie? If so, are they worth using, or should I explore other options if I wish to get a more robust video editing experience? Right now I don't really have the cash to spend on a $300+ video editor such as Final Cut. If the single application subscription for the Adobe Cloud was cheaper, I would opt for Premiere Pro, but I don't really want to pay $20+ a month on top of the amount I already pay Adobe for Photoshop and Lightroom.

I know Photoshop HAS the capability to edit video, but even so with that said I find it's very buggy and slow to react, and my iMac is not sluggish by any means.

I like staying within an all application environment, as in, I like to keep with the default, Apple software as much as I can if I can. I'd like to hear from my fellow Mac video editors if there is any way to improve iMovie.

I think I am crazy, but this current version seems like it lacks features from older versions.. but that could be just the UI being different and the fact I hadn't really sat down and put a full project through just yet.

Any tips, suggestions, or input would be great.

Regards,

Gerald B.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
There are several answers to your question. The first, is what specific features are you looking for? Apple seems to bury more advanced capabilities beneath a hgih-level just-get-it-done UX. iMovie is very capable for most consumers, and you can't beat the price. Next, you could consider Premiere Elements, which has a traditional licensing model (buy, not subscribe). Also, very capable for most consumers. Next up is DaVinci Resolve, which is free, but not Apple. Then there is FCP X - very powerful, and a pretty good price for such a product.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Ever since 'iMovie 08 came out in August 2007, Apple dropped plug-in support for iMovie. I believe they thought, "Why allow third-party plug-in support, when we can do it ourselves?" And then with subsequent versions of the new iMovie, they added stuff like picture-in-picture, chroma-key and a few other effects and such that required plug-ins on the classic iMovie.
I will admit, iMovie '11 is one of my favorite versions of the program. It's got the most features of this "new" version. I feel with the newer version (iMovie 10), that dropping support for 4:3 video (only supporting widescreen or 16:9) and creating DVD chapter markers, and kind of limiting the import and export options wasn't a great idea, but at least it's still got good features like the cool trailer-maker thing, decent audio editing, basic picture-in-picture and chromakey effects, etc.
iMovie HD 6 is also probably the best version of the "classic" iMovie; it's also a great video editor for G4 machines (with at least a 1 GHz or higher processor.) I managed to get it working on my Mac Mini with OS X 10.11 El Capitan. (Google it up, there's a way you can patch one of the files in TextEdit.)

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
Next up is DaVinci Resolve, which is free, but not Apple.
I have installed this application and wow what a robust editing system. Runs very well on my iMac and has a wonderful UI to boot. Why is something like this free? I was shocked to see it cost nothing for what it is we are getting.

Is there some sort of catch I wonder? I only intend to edit in 720p currently, and maybe 1080p a little ways down the road, and I feel this application may work well for me.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
>>>Is there some sort of catch I wonder?
So far as I can tell, the only catch is that someday they will change their mind and you will be "stuck" with their UX. But that's true for any app.

Medcons

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2016
I've got the Picture in Picture pack PiP.... attached I hope.
You can download the full iMovie HD 6.5.1 app see here Tutorial Video. Works all the way up to OSX 10.11

Attachments

• Image ip.zip
    408.6 KB · Views: 533
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.