Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hikkadwa

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2005
wild west wales uk
sony handycam dcr-dvd203e
A friend of mine wants me to do a bit of editing for him off his video camera. I'm familioar with my own digital camera which uses tape however this is one of those that records onto a small dvd direct. There doesn't appear to be a firewire port on the camera only a usb. Any suggestions would be grateful.

TrashCanDan

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Since its in a dvd format "VIDEO_TS" your gonna have to convert the footage to a .mpg file and then import it into iMovie, FCP, FCPe. Handbrake will do the trick for ya. If its on those mini dvd disks that im thinkin of, they seem to get stuck in Macs with slot loading optical drives so be careful.

Hikkadwa

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2005
wild west wales uk
Thankyou

Many thanks - I'll down load the software and give it a go. not too skilled at this but thanks for telling me something i didn't know.

Hikkadwa

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2005
wild west wales uk
handbrake

Many thanks I've managed to rip an mp4 from dvd onto my desktop and have imported it into iMovie. However it is a half hour clip. Have you any idea how to select segments from the clip so i can manipulate in iMovie. Importing from digital video(tape) camera was so much easier?
regards
Hikkadwa

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
Hikkadwa said:
Many thanks I've managed to rip an mp4 from dvd onto my desktop and have imported it into iMovie. However it is a half hour clip. Have you any idea how to select segments from the clip so i can manipulate in iMovie. Importing from digital video(tape) camera was so much easier?
regards
Hikkadwa

Take the little triangles below the time line and drag them to the segment you want to edit. Copy switch over the to timeline and paste...see if that works.

I'm trying to do the same thing but Handbrake keeps tellimg me there is not valid title found. Any clues. The mini DVD plays in the Apple DVD player. I also had trouble making a disk image.

Edit: Must be something wrong with the first mini DVD. The second one is working fine so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.