Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Not sure what's going on here. I have a 780x1688 screen recording from my iMac that I imported into iMovie, and if I preview the imported file in iMovie, it shows at 100% quality. But as soon as I drag the imported clip to the project timeline, everything turns very blurry, like it's been converted to 360p quality. Even if I export the project in ProRes, it still looks the same (blurry). What am I missing here? macOS 12.5.1, iMovie 10.3.4

Since posting this, I've tried resetting iMovie preferences by holding option+Command when launching iMovie and also starting a new project, but to no avail. Quality turns from sharp resolution to blurry crap as soon as the clip is dragged into the timeline and maximizing export quality has no effect. When starting the new project, I made sure the screen recording was the only clip I imported and dragged to the timeline, to rule out other clips affecting quality settings.

Edit: Heck, I can't even get YouTube to show the original clip at full quality! It uploads not only in 240p and doesn't even say an HD version is being processed. Seriously . . . what . . . the . . . heck. I even tried re-encoding the video to mp4 with Handbrake and re-uploading to YouTube . . . same result. I have uploaded screen recordings plenty of times before with zero issue, so I have no idea why all of a sudden everything is going to pot.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.