Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
I've been using iMovie forever... since it first came out. I still have a copy of iMovie HD I use from time to time on an old G4 tower. I have Premiere at my disposal, but I've always liked the quick-simplicity of iMovie. I am up an running on the a Mac Studio, base MAX option. I have never had this laggy of an experience in iMovie before. It's so bad I have to assume user error.

At first I thought it was because I was editing off an external drive. Then I tried a project from some clips on the local drive (they are being dragged in from the Photos app.) It takes them a second of 15 to load... then when they do it's basically unusable for a period of time. I can't drag the volume down, it just wants to drag the whole clip. If I select the clip and hit "delete" the computer ignores the command the first 8-10 times you try it, then it will take.

It's really really bad... Right now I have a project going with about a dozen 2-3sec 4k clips. Each time I drag a clip in it gets worse and worse... but as soon as I exit out of the project and go back into it it's super fast.

I don't want to plunk down for Final Cut if it's going to be a similar experience... but I don't see how that is possible.

Thoughts?

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Even after I let everything finish processing... If I go back and play the project from the start, I can't even get through two clips before the playhead stops, it doesn't even come close to keeping up in real time.

What on earth is the "video engine" or whatever supposed to do?

This is crazy.

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
I called Apple. I couldn't take it.

They told me to delete iMovie and reinstall it. Holy heck, what a difference. It actually works now. That's just crazy to me. I would have thought a bad install wouldn't work at all... instead it just worked really poorly.

Up and running like greased lighting.

I hope this post helps someone else.

Reactions: Blowback
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.