Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
Since October 24, 2022, I’ve tried to update my iMovie app on my 4th Generation 12.9” iPadPro running iOS 16.1. Each time it starts the update (update circle starts to spin) then within seconds it stops, and displays the “Update” button again. Have tried to update many times. All other apps update properly. Any idea why this is the case?

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
First, try quitting and reopening the App Store app.

Have you tried restarting your iPad sine 10/24/22? If so, then have you also tried force restarting it?
Thanks, good suggestions.

Yes, quit/reopened App Store several times.

Yes, turned off and restarted my iPadPro. I do this almost daily anyway.

No, I didn’t force restart the device. Didn’t know about this but a cool tip for the future.

Results: never updated iMovie. Until today. I updated to iOS 16.1.1 through Software Update. After it completed, I went to the App Store to update everything. iMovie was still there. I tapped the Update button and it worked just like all other apps would. Interesting. But I still don’t know or understand why the exceptional update behavior before for just this one Apple app. Don’t care much now, in truth.

Reactions: usagora
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.