Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It doesn’t really matter if it’s dual sim. If you’re in poor network zone then your phone will burn through battery faster. With dual sim, it just increases the chances because the phone wants to stay connected to 2 networks always.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Negligible. The biggest battery killers is screen brightness and apps running in the background. Eliminate them and you're good to go.

Don’t think so.

If one uses auto brightness then the screen doesn’t use as much battery as one would like to think due to the nature of OLED panels.

Also iOS handles background activities amazingly well. Apps don’t run indefinitely in the background. If you’re not actively using the app then iOS kills the processes after about 10 mins.

Poor network connectivity, on the other hand, kills battery faster because the device constantly tries to hold on to the signals.

Reactions: max2 and w1zard

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Don’t think so.

If one uses auto brightness then the screen doesn’t use as much battery as one would like to think due to the nature of OLED panels.

Also iOS handles background activities amazingly well. Apps don’t run indefinitely in the background. If you’re not actively using the app then iOS kills the processes after about 10 mins.

Poor network connectivity, on the other hand, kills battery faster because the device constantly tries to hold on to the signals.

So, I guess with Apple's magical software solutions the phone will last forever without a recharge?:rolleyes: So tell me, if it's not screen usage and background apps, what drains the battery?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
So, I guess with Apple's magical software solutions the phone will last forever without a recharge?:rolleyes: So tell me, if it's not screen usage and background apps, what drains the battery?

I explained everything in my post. By the tone you used in your post I sense you’re going to just come back with random comments and ignore what I’ve mentioned. This early in the morning I’m not willing to entertain that. Enjoy your device as you please to use it just don’t spread misinformation.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Don’t think so.

LCD or OLED the screen and background processes are going to use the most power. Very seldom is the screen mostly black where an OLEDs efficiency would actually be useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: darksithpro

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
You won`t have much impact with the second SIM. Both SIM`s are using only one Antenna. Only one is Using 4G and the second remains on Voice only.

iRutherford

Suspended
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
It doesn’t really matter if it’s dual sim. If you’re in poor network zone then your phone will burn through battery faster. With dual sim, it just increases the chances because the phone wants to stay connected to 2 networks always.

This isn't true at all. I bought a dual SIM phone from Amazon—and it's a basic one—yet the battery only lasts for a few days even without usage (I tested it on standby with 2 SIM cards active and battery saver mode turned on).

With 1 SIM card, the battery life is extended to up to 21 days on standby, four days short of what's promised in the box. It's a Nokia 8110 4G.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
This isn't true at all. I bought a dual SIM phone from Amazon—and it's a basic one—yet the battery only lasts for a few days even without usage (I tested it on standby with 2 SIM cards active and battery saver mode turned on).

With 1 SIM card, the battery life is extended to up to 21 days on standby, four days short of what's promised in the box. It's a Nokia 8110 4G.

Ha ha ha.

Not gonna say anything to that.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

swissless

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2019
Does using dual SIM on iPhone XS use more battery life?
I have been using dual SIM on my iPhone XS Max in Europe for the last 2+ months and there is definitely a noticeable reduction in battery life. I would estimate ~70% of standard battery life when using dual SIM.

I think it depends on which SIMs you have too. My US SIM is always roaming while in Europe, which I'm sure contributes to battery drain. But I' also guessing most people use dual specifically to serve multiple locales, so my experience should be pretty representative.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Does using dual SIM on iPhone XS use more battery life?
Technically speaking, yes. However, in practice, there are other things that will affect the battery life more than the dual SIM themselves in standby. Dual SIM technology is not new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.