Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Future online apps has been a buzz for some time now and are slowing becoming a reality from many websites such as google.

As for Apple, once online apps become more powerful do you think we will see iTunes as a online app rather than a desktop app?

Whats good about this is now when we purchase music from the online iTunes app it is automatically saved in apples server so there is no need for us to back up our music/apps/books/..ect files.

If this were to happen I'm guessing it would either have it's own URL or use MobileMe. BUT if it uses MobileMe, users would have to pay the yearly subscription so then people have a choice to use iTunes desktop app or use the online app. This would be good for apple for the reason of having more people join MobileMe.

What do you guys think? Would apple use MobileMe or a separate website? If it were to be a separate website then I believe iTunes desktop app won't be needed anymore and apple would stop promoting the desktop app. If using MobileMe to implement iTunes then I guess apple would leave the iTunes Desktop app for users who don't want to pay for the MobileMe service to get access to get to the online iTunes app.

canada eh

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2009
Barrie, Ontario
I don't know, that would really make people like me who have to use 3G for rural internet or dial up to manage an ipod, and it could be slow because it is like you are uploading and downloading all of your videos and music. It's also bad for some places that can't even get internet, like my uncle who can't even get dial up.

xSPRINTERx

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2009
Leicester
Future online apps has been a buzz for some time now and are slowing becoming a reality from many websites such as google.

As for Apple, once online apps become more powerful do you think we will see iTunes as a online app rather than a desktop app?

Whats good about this is now when we purchase music from the online iTunes app it is automatically saved in apples server so there is no need for us to back up our music/apps/books/..ect files.

If this were to happen I'm guessing it would either have it's own URL or use MobileMe. BUT if it uses MobileMe, users would have to pay the yearly subscription so then people have a choice to use iTunes desktop app or use the online app. This would be good for apple for the reason of having more people join MobileMe.

What do you guys think? Would apple use MobileMe or a separate website? If it were to be a separate website then I believe iTunes desktop app won't be needed anymore and apple would stop promoting the desktop app. If using MobileMe to implement iTunes then I guess apple would leave the iTunes Desktop app for users who don't want to pay for the MobileMe service to get access to get to the online iTunes app.

Sounds like a great idea. Sync all of my Apple kit over mobile me now, it would be cool to be able to sync itunes as well..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.