Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

commac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
I'll probably end buying both games but trying to decide which to get first. Any opinions?

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
I've been having a blast with the Halo bundle. The controls take a little getting used to, but so far it's turning out to be a very nice port. Glad I spent the $10.

commac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
I've been having a blast with the Halo bundle. The controls take a little getting used to, but so far it's turning out to be a very nice port. Glad I spent the $10.

Did you start with Spartan Assault or Strike? Second time I hear the controls are odd... Why exactly?

One more... Are there a lot of menu screens to tap through? Like collecting things and having to equip them (rpg style) or more arcade ( constant action ).

Thanks!

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Did you start with Spartan Assault or Strike? Second time I hear the controls are odd... Why exactly?

One more... Are there a lot of menu screens to tap through? Like collecting things and having to equip them (rpg style) or more arcade ( constant action ).

Thanks!
I started with Spartan strike, but only because I've already seen plenty of vids of Spartan Assault.
The controls work fine once you get used to it. The main problem is that virtual control "sticks" don't have a physical limit to how far you can move it, so sometimes you will find your fingers going off the edge of screen in the heat of combat.

However, I eventually got used to not needing to move the controls so much. Each mission gives you default abilities and weapons, which you upgrade with in-game credit. You earn credits from winning missions. The currency is purely an in-game thing, not freemium BS. Credits will be needed to use the UNSC heavy weapons like the sniper rifle, spartan laser, or rocket launcher. Everything is done before the mission starts, so no in-game menus. Definitely arcade style.

Overall, I'm fairly impressed. EVERYTHING from the full Halo games are there. All the vehicles, abilities and weapons are in there, and you can pick dropped enemy weapons as well. The sound effects are authentic. It's literally a top-down view full featured HALO game on your iDevice.

Last edited:

commac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
I started with Spartan strike, but only because I've already seen plenty of vids of Spartan Assault.
The controls work fine once you get used to it. The main problem is that virtual control "sticks" don't have a physical limit to how far you can move it, so sometimes you will find your fingers going off the edge of screen in the heat of combat.

However, I eventually got used to not needing to move the controls so much. Each mission gives you default abilities and weapons, which you upgrade with in-game credit. You earn credits from winning missions. The currency is purely an in-game thing, not freemium BS. Credits will be needed to use the UNSC heavy weapons like the sniper rifle, spartan laser, or rocket launcher. Everything is done before the mission starts, so no in-game menus. Definitely arcade style.

Overall, I'm fairly impressed. EVERYTHING from the full Halo games are there. All the vehicles, abilities and weapons are in there, and you can pick dropped enemy weapons as well. The sound effects are authentic. It's literally a top-down view full featured HALO game on your iDevice.

Thanks for taking the time. Sounds like what I'm looking for. Implosion seems a bit more rpg. I'm gonna pull the trigger. Always loved Halo but only ever played the original on PC

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Thanks for taking the time. Sounds like what I'm looking for. Implosion seems a bit more rpg. I'm gonna pull the trigger. Always loved Halo but only ever played the original on PC

RPG?!?

It's a free roaming hack and slash game with mechs and aliens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.