Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huliodude

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Let's see if any smarty pants knows how to do this. I looked around on the net but couldn't find the answer anywhere.

I've been running Mountain Lion on my machine since last October. After all these months, I decided I like Snow Leopard better, and downgraded the machine. I've got everything back up and running pretty smoothly with the use of a Time Capsule. One small problem though.

When I was running Mountain Lion, I had most Notes stored in gmail imap, syncing to my iphone.

However I had some sensitive info Notes that I left stored locally on my machine only.

When I downgraded to snow leopard, I can't find the notes in the time machine backup of my mountain lion setup, and even if I could, I don't know if they're in the same format that snow leopard notes uses. Notes is built into mail in snow leopard.

Anyone know what folder they'd be stored in? And if so, how do I import them into snow leopard's mac mail?

Thanks!

Huliodude.

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
I would check in your backup:
~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes
There should be three files:
NotesV1.storedata
NotesV1.storedata-shm
NotesV1.storedata-wal
The question is can you get the data out of them? I would try something like TextWrangler, and changing the file extension. (Be sure to duplicate the files before you try to modify them.)

Cheers

mookee

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2016
hi

i know its late, but did you have any luck. am in the exact same situation now and textwrangler doesnt show any reasonable infos from my 3 mountainlion notes backupfiles

BIG HELP PLEASE!!!!(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.