Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBlackBook22

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
I have a leather case that has 2 magnetic disc's. Its not a flip top case it folds closed like a wallet. And that is what I use it for too. It has space for credit cards and cash and that is the reason I bought the case. So that I don't have to carry a wallet. Never had any problem with the magnets causing problem with the touch. Its a G1 version.

I tend to think its where the magnets are placed in the case that is the problem for some people. Too bad as I think having a leather case is much nicer for the touch than the gel cases I see around.

cweaver

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Why bother to spend money to achieve the exact opposite of Ives's design? I hate flip cases because 1) makes iPod thin = iPod thick 2) bulky and big 3) expensive. Buy something else other than a flip case with magnets. There's stuff like more-thing.com cases, belkin plastic sliders, etc.

I actually think the slip on backs to protect the metal are the waste.
I could care less about the metal being scratched. I use a flip case so that the touch can be in a pocket, purse, or other bag with the screen protected from scratches and shock that might crack it yet is is easy to flip open and use since there is nothing but a small magnet holding the cover in place.

1)The fact that the iPod is so thin which allows the case itself to be thin.
2)My Ipod in its case is not big, it isn't bulky (still fits in my front pocket)
3)My case was only $5 shipped which is why I am not really surprised the magnets were not well shielded. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011I9ORU/
It is surprising to find reports on $30 cases!

Pick out the best case (or naked) design for your use.
For me a soft padded flip case best meets my needs. Since I like the easy to use magnet flip case design, I have had to work around the ipod deficiency of crashing due to the magnetic field...

AngeleDei

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2009
Are you serious? You have tried 4 iPhones to avoid this problem instead of replacing the case?

Unfortunatley yes I have. I am trying to get a definitive answer from Apple to agree that there is a problem so people know and can avoid certain types of case. As it is, they are unwilling to do this and have - when pressed - denied there is anything wrong with the iPhone and it should work with all cases. I've sent detailed explanations of my symptoms and actions to Apple technicians and have been ignored. So, until they either admit there is a problem or I get a better shielded phone, then I will send them back. Its annoying to have to do so, but then its also annoying that I had to spend a considerable amount of time figuring out the problem because Apple will not admit it exists.

appydata

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
I agree about the magnetic cases.

I've had two Ipod touches (my partners and her brothers) crash/freeze on me when placed into the protective leather cases that have two magnets near the bottem round button. When they have been out of the cases there are no issues. Within minutes of closing the lid, and then opening again I would find that I would need to reset the ipods.

OK, so I've created a few threads here reporting about my iPod Touch locking up where I have to reset it by holding down the two buttons for 10 seconds. I have done some troubleshooting and have determined the problem today.

This is VERY IMPORTANT. It turns out from what I have discovered is that it was my case: http://store.apple-touch.com/content/accessories/4-22--3116.htm

Perhaps cases with magnets in a different area would be ok, I don't know. I HAVE DETERMINED though, magnets at the bottom on one or both sides of the front circle button is NOT GOOD.

I've had two different iPod Touches crashing on me. One was /A and one /B One on 1.1.2 and one with 1.1.3 with apps. I've been running my new one, a /B with 1.1.3 and apps without any case for a while and it hadn't crashed. I decided I could put it back in my case, the one linked to above. I put it on my desk. It was sitting there for 30 minutes or less. I pick it up and flip open the lid. As I open the lid, I see the screen flash white and then the apple logo appears from the clean boot or whatever you want to call it. Mind you, the screen flashed white the INSTANT I open the lid.

What I believe is happening is that the magnets in the case are pulling something within the iPod Touch and shorting or causing some problem. I am 99% sure that this is the problem I have been having for the past two weeks with my two different iPod Touches.

Perhaps if you have a case that doesn't have as strong of magnets as the case I've mentioned, you may not experience this problem.

I am taking my case back and am going to look for something else that hopefully still has some type of flip lid to protect my screen, but not hold it on with magnets.

I send this out as a warning to all would be buyers of the case mentioned above or any case that may have magnets in, no matter how weak or strong they may be. You will save yourself a lot of headaches if you simply avoid purchasing any case with magnets.

I hope this helps people steer clear of the problems I've had to endure over these past two weeks.

If anybody knows of a iPod Touch case that does have a hard protection for the screen like the one I've mentioned and that doesn't use magnets, I am interested in a link or its name.

Thank you.

appydata

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
I have the same case!

That's the same case that I've been having problems with.

It's not your ipod but the magnets in the case that are causing the problem.

I have the Gear4 iPod Touch Case (iPod Touch First Generation, 2.2 Software Not Jailbroken) and whenever i leave the ipod in the case for any length of time and clip it on and then take it off again the ipod seems to freeze, not any freeze but the screen has lots of different colours flashing and changing, (you know like when you do a screen check on a pc moniter) and its as if the drivers for my ipod screen fail! I can't repeat this but it happens not freqently but every now and then. I've had my ipod for about 6 months and this is a first!

Here is my case......
gear4_ljtch.jpg

It has two magnets on the ipod side (when its open) that are always either side of the home button when the ipod is in the case and there are two that match up with them in the flip lid.

If anybody else has this problem please post here and quote me cos i think it might just be my ipod :(

Thanks

mbira

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
I joined this forum now to also mention that I have the exact same problem. Thanks for this tip from cweaver:

I have however been able to work around the problem since I like the case.

I cut a strip of flexible refrigerator magnet with a cutout for the home key.
I placed this inside the case between the touch and the magnets with double sided tape to keep it from sliding around.

This soft, flexible, easy to cut material, effectively short circuits the magnetic field and the touch has not had a problem since.

This has fixed the problem for me with no cost and it took 3 minutes. I was about to rip the magnets out of my case because I wasn't about to go spend $30 on a new case (I got mine from the above Amazon link).

Kerin15

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
Magnets tried to kill my Itouch too.

In my experience it is absolutely true that my new leather flip case made my Itouch unusable. The only evidence I need is that when I had the Itouch in the case, the device would freeze each time I closed the case, the screen would go white, or striped, and the full battery drained over a 3 hour period. I had to reset the device over and over. I had not had any problems or resets before or after the use of this case. I say BEWARE of Magenets!!!

philo23

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Warrington, UK
I highly doubt its the magnets. Theres nothing for them to really affect...
Also maybe try updating to 2.0, 1.1.x isnt exactly know to be stable

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I highly doubt its the magnets. Theres nothing for them to really affect...
Also maybe try updating to 2.0, 1.1.x isnt exactly know to be stable

It's definitely the magnets. I had an iPod Touch which worked absolutely perfectly until I put it in a Griffin Elan Convertible case and then it started freezing and killing the battery. I stopped using the case and it worked perfectly again for a few months until I gave it to my wife after purchasing an iPhone. She started using the same Griffin Elan case and it happened to her too. Stopped using the case and it was fine until I sold it. So definitely the case and has to be the magnets.

philo23

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Warrington, UK
It's definitely the magnets. I had an iPod Touch which worked absolutely perfectly until I put it in a Griffin Elan Convertible case and then it started freezing and killing the battery. I stopped using the case and it worked perfectly again for a few months until I gave it to my wife after purchasing an iPhone. She started using the same Griffin Elan case and it happened to her too. Stopped using the case and it was fine until I sold it. So definitely the case and has to be the magnets.

that's quite obscure, there shouldn't be anything in the iPod touch or the iPhone that would be affected by magnets... Weird

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
that's quite obscure, there shouldn't be anything in the iPod touch or the iPhone that would be affected by magnets... Weird

Strange but true :) I did contact Griffin about it and they confirmed that they had received complaints from other people that this particular case affected a number of other customers and that they would switch it out for another case of my choice. Strange it doesn't affect all of them though.

manda2016

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2009
You Were Right!

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM... it really is the cases with magnets. i tried it out twice i thought it was just the i pod at first.
but it worked the night before then i got my case and iput it in and it instantly turned off and woudn't turn back on. so i restarted it again, and put it in again to see. and it did the same thing. and thanks to ur forum i figured it out for sure! thank you. no more cases like that for me!

Hi Fearless, can you try using the magnet and not waving it, but putting it up against it and then pulling it away. Can you please test this on the front of it at the bottom where the front circle button is?

I'm really quite interested in peoples results with this. Mine is a 2008 week 1. I'd especially be interested in anybody testing with magnets on the same 2008 week 1 touch.

Like some said, I did a long winded post. I don't really know how people wish me to prove it. I'm afraid I don't have the time to prove it... and to be honest, I'm not going to go waving the magnets in front of my Touch again to prove (or disprove) it. Maybe I made the title a little too dramatic, but I said to myself, I wish somebody had only warned me the same way before I purchased my iPod Touch case, so that I could at least make a decision that would avoid the POSSIBLE problem.

If anybody else can confirm magnets cause a problem as they are put at the bottom of the screen and pulled away from the iPhone / Touch, it would help confirm the problem.

As for me, I have already picked the two cases that I've settled on to replace the magnet one I mentioned. The one I had that caused this problem was bought when I bought my Touch, just because they had it and not really for any preference other than that it had the hard cover to the screen.

My new protection will include my Touch encased with the iFrogz http://ifrogz.com/products.php?cat=352&wrap_overlay=4054|touchtreadz case and then the Golla Camo http://store.apple-touch.com/content/accessories/4-25--2994.htm

Magnet free setup and pretty spiffy protection.

I hope somebody else is able to confirm these magnet problems. :(

humbug67

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
i have had numerous issues with my new ipod touch 2nd gen ( 32gb), i have a magnetic case and the ipod doesnt work when inside the case, even apple told me it was the case.
DONT USE THEM

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Ladies and Gentlemen, I've just discovered that there are magnets IN my Macbook Pro. :eek:

But I've heard you're not supposed to have magnets around computers, EVER.

Should I remove the magnet from the top case of my MBP to avoid future possible damage to it? I'm contacting Apple about this immediately, I wonder if they know there are MAGNETS installed INSIDE their machines! :eek:

;)

lmgequalizer

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2009
Hey,

I am new here and was just surfing the web for some anwsers about this same issue. Just got a 8G touch for christmas and a leather case by itech electronics which states on the case "for th eipod touch" however the case kills the ipod. You put it in and within seconds the itouch shuts down and you can not restart it unless you hit the home key and power button for about 20secs. WTF is up with that?:confused: all this neat technology and they still have not figured out how to make these gadgets work with out interferience to low power magnets... :/

ekim1951

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
Having same problem.

I had the same type of case for over a year. Just recently my ipod touch has started to act up. Every time I closed the flap on the case my music would stop
and the ipod would have to be rebooted. I turned it on out of the case and had no problem. A lot of people are saying they have no problems with this type of case. Maybe so. They'll say that the magnets are too weak. I say that when two magnets come together, they get twice as strong and over time might cause a problem. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

solara

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2010
I have a MacCase brand case with two magnets down around the home button at the bottom that keep the case closed. Around February my iPod touch 2g, which I had had since last March, suddenly began to misbehave. It reboots itself multiple times a day, and has also set itself into recovery mode more than once. I sent it into Apple, who said there was nothing wrong with it and returned it. It is now out of warranty. I have noticed it does not appear to misbehave as much when not in the case, although it will still turn itself off or reboot itself. Is it possible that it could be the magnets in this case?

bestace

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2011
Montreal
generally electronic goods are shielded against stray magnetic fields. Maybe you got a defective unit. I am sure there would have been more people complaining about the problem..

MrsWhiskey

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2011
Definitely the magnets

generally electronic goods are shielded against stray magnetic fields. Maybe you got a defective unit. I am sure there would have been more people complaining about the problem..

But there are numerous reports of the exact same problems all over the web and all over this forum.

I had a faux leather flip case with magnets for my itouch for years - no problem at all. I liked the case so much that when it wore out I replaced it with one exactly like it, or so I thought. The fit was just a bit more snug, and the magnets seemed just a tiny bit stronger. The itouch immediately began crashing every time I closed the case. I would have to reboot by holding down the home and top buttons. I put the itouch back in the worn and tattered case -- no problem. Two months later I tried the new case again. Same problem. I tried stretching the leather so it would be as loose as the worn out case. That helped a tiny bit, but the itouch still crashes about once a day. The difference in magnet strength between the two cases isn't much, but it is noticeable. And after stretching of the new case, the difference in magnet strength is the only difference between the two I can find.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.