Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave6422

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2022
I had an iphone 6 and I lost it. later on i bought another iphone 6 and put the iCloud backup from the old iphone to the new one. It's been a year. Can I recover the original iCloud backup from the first iphone or has it been overwritten by the new iphone?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Guessing overwritten if iCloud is not seeing it as two different phones.

Can check: Settings > YourName > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups, to see what backups are there.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I had an iphone 6 and I lost it. later on i bought another iphone 6 and put the iCloud backup from the old iphone to the new one. It's been a year. Can I recover the original iCloud backup from the first iphone or has it been overwritten by the new iphone?
iCloud backups are deleted after 180 days if they’re not being used, so it’s probably already gone in your case. It’s covered in the document Apple published here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204247

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
No need to guess/suppose it'll behave a certain way, take a look. Settings > {your name} > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups will show all devices with a backup currently stored, and touching the backup will show when it was last updated.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Did you ever backup on your computer? My iTunes always has old backups I did… maybe try looking in iTunes if you did.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.