Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I have a Canon SD870 camera which takes 640x480 videos. I was able to import them and view them on the iPad fine. They appeared as AVI+THM files.

I went and bought a Canon SD3500, which among many cool features also take HD video. This one shows up as MOV+THM on the import. I can see the thumbnail, but when it imports I see a generic icon with the word MOV on it, and it won't play. :(

I thought at first it could be the video format, but I lowered the resolution to 640x480. The file again showed up as MOV+THM, but this time it played fine.

Any ideas? I would hate to think my iPad can't do HD video from my shiny new camera... :eek:

Battlestar

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2010
Boston
I have a Canon SD870 camera which takes 640x480 videos. I was able to import them and view them on the iPad fine. They appeared as AVI+THM files.

I went and bought a Canon SD3500, which among many cool features also take HD video. This one shows up as MOV+THM on the import. I can see the thumbnail, but when it imports I see a generic icon with the word MOV on it, and it won't play. :(

I thought at first it could be the video format, but I lowered the resolution to 640x480. The file again showed up as MOV+THM, but this time it played fine.

Any ideas? I would hate to think my iPad can't do HD video from my shiny new camera... :eek:

Convert them to MP4's. Use handbrake and then re-import them through itunes.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Convert them to MP4's. Use handbrake and then re-import them through itunes.

I know THAT. :p The idea was to import them directly from the camera without needing a PC or iTunes.

I read a post on a blog that HD videos are not recognized by the photo app. The blogger jailbroke his iPad and used a file manager, and clicking on the file played it fine. Because the Photo app does play the lower res videos of the same format, I can only theorize that this is a limitation of the Photo app itself.

Here's to hoping that gets fixed. The 640x480 videos look pretty good, but I can only imagine 1280x720 will look better! :) It was very cool to be able to take the videos, plug in the SD card into the iPad with the Camera Connection Kit, and import and play the video files.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
It's the movie format that's the problem. I asked aboutnthis a while backnand the replynfrom everyone was that the camera has to matke Motion JPG movies in order to play on the iPad without converting the video. Unfortunately the new Canon cameras no longer use the Motion JPG format so you have to convert them on the computer for them to work.

It's a total bummer as I was looking to upgrade my SD800 to a newer one but decided against it due to this roadblock.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
It's the movie format that's the problem. I asked aboutnthis a while backnand the replynfrom everyone was that the camera has to matke Motion JPG movies in order to play on the iPad without converting the video. Unfortunately the new Canon cameras no longer use the Motion JPG format so you have to convert them on the computer for them to work.

It's a total bummer as I was looking to upgrade my SD800 to a newer one but decided against it due to this roadblock.

I thought that too, but the 640x480 MOV formatted file plays fine. It's the HD version that doesn't. Both came from the same (new) camera (SD3500). I just changed the resolution settings on two test videos.

brettanderson

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Yes I've noticed the same thing with a canon 200sx - a 640x480 mov file plays fine, but the 1280*720 mov file is rejected by itunes and does not even get copied over to the ipad.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Assuming an accepted CODEC is used it could be the HD version was saved at too high a bit rate. Take a look at the iPad spec page for the max is for each respective CODEC.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Thats a good thought. I couldnt find bitrate specs for The Canon video. All i could find was

Movie: MOV (Image: H.264; Audio: Linear PCM (Monaural))
Number of Recording Pixels
Still Image: 4,320 x 3,240 (Large), 3,456 x 2,592 (Medium 1), 2,592 x 1,944 (Medium 2), 1,600 x 1,200 (Medium 3/Date Stamp), 640 x 480 (Small), 4,320 x 2,432 (Widescreen), 2,144 x 1,608 (Low Light)
Movie: HD 1,280 x 720 (30 fps available up to 10 min. or 4GB per clip), 640 x 480 (30 fps), 320 x 240 (30 fps) available up to 60 minutes or 4GB per clip

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I just did a search of the Apple support forums, and apparently I am not the only one with this dilemma. :rolleyes: Someone said they talked to Apple tech support and they were unable to help. Speculation was about the mov or audio formats, but if that was the case, the vga res video would not play.

My bet is that the Photo app is unable to recognize hd video. And since that is the app that sucks stuff off the sd card/camera, I am thinking this is a bug. :eek:

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
I am experiencing the same issue...
I have an Canon, and it takes great pictures and videos. The photos look amazing on the iPad, but the videos will not work. They are in *.mov format. I thought that the *.mov extension was created by apple, and thereof, it would work?

I have no issue converting, but I mean, I kinda wanted to do the ... just plug the camera into the iPad and voila, no converting needed.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I am experiencing the same issue...
I have an Canon, and it takes great pictures and videos. The photos look amazing on the iPad, but the videos will not work. They are in *.mov format. I thought that the *.mov extension was created by apple, and thereof, it would work?

I have no issue converting, but I mean, I kinda wanted to do the ... just plug the camera into the iPad and voila, no converting needed.

Is it just the HD videos not playing or all resolutions?

AppEzzy

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
I have an elph and the movies have never played, only shoot in HD I didn't think to shoot them a little lower Rez and see if that works. Might have to try it out but it does defeat the purpose of having an HD camera. Hopefully os 4 will fix this.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I have an elph and the movies have never played, only shoot in HD I didn't think to shoot them a little lower Rez and see if that works. Might have to try it out but it does defeat the purpose of having an HD camera. Hopefully os 4 will fix this.

640x480 should work. Both my Elphs (870 and 3500) work on low Rez. Videos look good.

I bought the 3500 wanting to do HD video, so imagine my dissapoinment! The video file will play - a blogger poster he jailbroke his iPad and used iFile to click on a HD movie he imported from his Canon camera, and the movie played. That seems to indicate to me a Photo app problem. Hopefully try will fix it. :cool:

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
640x480 should work. Both my Elphs (870 and 3500) work on low Rez. Videos look good.

I bought the 3500 wanting to do HD video, so imagine my dissapoinment! The video file will play - a blogger poster he jailbroke his iPad and used iFile to click on a HD movie he imported from his Canon camera, and the movie played. That seems to indicate to me a Photo app problem. Hopefully try will fix it. :cool:

I havent tried actually.. Ill try that when I Get a chance and ill letcha know! :D

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Funny, Apple removed my post...

I posted this question in the Apple support forums and my post was removed. Not sure if it was the reference to someone having jail broken their iPad and gotten the videos in HD to work, or the fact I posted a link to the guys blog, but in any case it was censored. I can understand the reluctance to discuss jail breaking, but just saying someone did it??? Seems pretty paranoid to me. :rolleyes:

In any case the HD videos are known to work. It must be the Photo app that is just not set up to recognize them.. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.