Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
Hi all! So I just updated to Big Sur but I'm having some trouble importing AVCHD video files from a Sony Camera through Quicktime Player. On Catalina, importing AVCHD files was relatively straightforward with imports of hour long video clips only taking about a half hour at most. After updating to Big Sur, it takes over 4 hours at least to import one video file of about an hour. Do y'all know of any alternatives to Quicktime that can import hour long clips more speedily than Quicktime? One more thing, there's typically two clips included in each AVCHD file, so I need a way to separate which clip since I only have need for just one of them. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
Have you tried iMovie? That's what I always use, but not with Big Sur though.
I use Final Cut Pro for editing but I could try directly importing files into FCP instead of going from the SD Card to the desktop to FCP. Have you had any experience working with VLC Player?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Perhaps the slow down is due to codecs being dropped out of Big Sur (or they don't run natively in Big Sur). I don't have the work around details handy as I just keep an old laptop around with an older OS so I can import and convert/export to prores (.mov) and transfer the files into BigSur. I have a bunch of old trail cameras, some not so old, and its a PITA that Apple dropped compatibility.

Reactions: theapplehead

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Dropping native AVCHD support? I'm guessing it could be because there aren't a lot of consumer-aimed camcorders left on the market, and AVCHD was designed for tapeless high-definition camcorders from the mid-2000s until recent years, such as flash-memory camcorders (either internal or SD card), Blu-Ray/HD-DVD camcorders and hard disk drive camcorders (these are now considered "obsolete" mediums by camcorder manufacturers.) It's nowadays mostly prosumers and professionals that use dedicated video cameras, and they are pretty expensive and pack a lot of powerful features (such video cameras are often used to shoot today's big-budget feature films). Consumers would nowadays just shoot video with Smartphones and tablets (including of course the iPhone and iPad) and with digital still cameras, as they can now record video in a much higher quality than they could ten years ago. With that said, later consumer-aimed HD camcorders like my Canon Vixia HF-R600 camcorder even offered the options to record in either MP4 (H.264) or AVCHD formats. The only real advantage of AVCHD in this case is the smaller file size on the SD card, but you can't play back the files outside of the camcorder without importing and/or transcoding it in video editing software first. I shot a few videos on said camcorder in AVCHD, and while the smaller file sizes were nice, I found the MP4 clips I shoot to be more "universal" and easier to import in video editing programs like iMovie, Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Premiere Pro CC, Cyberlink PowerDirector, etc. And with the MP4/H.264 files you can even simply drag and drop them in the Finder from the SD card onto your computer's internal drive or an external hard drive/SDD reserved for video work.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
Perhaps the slow down is due to codecs being dropped out of Big Sur (or they don't run natively in Big Sur). I don't have the work around details handy as I just keep an old laptop around with an older OS so I can import and convert/export to prores (.mov) and transfer the files into BigSur. I have a bunch of old trail cameras, some not so old, and its a PITA that Apple dropped compatibility.
Hmm interesting. Is there any way to confirm whether or not this is the issue? If so, are there any options I have besides leaving Big Sur? Would importing with VLC cause the same issues or would the necessary codecs be included with that? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.