Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janzenman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
I just bought a new iMac G5 and have some old footage and films that I had burned to DVD a few years ago that I'd like to import, modify, and make DVD copies of. What is the best way to import DVD footage into iMovie with the least amount of generation loss? Or is this even possible?

janzenman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Mac the Ripper not downloading

It keeps giving me an error message. Any other rippers to suggest?

mhunter

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2005
janzenman said:
I just bought a new iMac G5 and have some old footage and films that I had burned to DVD a few years ago that I'd like to import, modify, and make DVD copies of. What is the best way to import DVD footage into iMovie with the least amount of generation loss? Or is this even possible?

I have used DVDxDV

http://www.dvdxdv.com/

It's not free, but it works flawlessly.

What it does, is converts your DVD to iMovie compatible files (Quicktime Format). It also automatically segments them into files that are small enough to import (iMovie has an 8 minute??? or 2 Gig file size import restriction).

So, the resulting files are directly compatible with iMovie, and they are small enough segments to be imported.

The program is available with different licenses at different prices. The one I used was the cheapest one available ($25) and worked great for me.

The Pro version is $80, and then they also have one designed for high-definition video.

To me, $25 is a reasonable price for something that works effortlessly, and puts it in a format that is directly compatible with iMovie.

Note, this will only work for video that is not copy-protected (such as commercial movies)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Heb1228 said:
Use Mac the Ripper to rip the DVD to your hard drive and then try MPEG Streamclip for converting the MPEG2 file (.vob) to Quicktime's DV format. Both free utilities. There may be an easier way, but that should work for you, and its free.

In order to use MPEG Streamclip to convert to DV, don't you need to purchase Apple's $20 QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component? You need it for the conversion, I believe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.