Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

viperguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
Ok, let's say I want an iMac.
But the customs in my country charge something like 80% of the sale price for importing.
So I'd be basically buying 2 computers and getting only 1. Which suks lol

Does any1 know of any kind of shipping from the US to another country (mine is Brazil) that would save me from this nonsense tax? I'd love to have a 17'' or a 20'' , but I'm just too afraid to buy and have to pay such a high tax when it arrives :(

Any help is appreciated :eek:

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
viperguy said:
Ok, let's say I want an iMac.
But the customs in my country charge something like 80% of the sale price for importing.
So I'd be basically buying 2 computers and getting only 1. Which suks lol

Does any1 know of any kind of shipping from the US to another country (mine is Brazil) that would save me from this nonsense tax? I'd love to have a 17'' or a 20'' , but I'm just too afraid to buy and have to pay such a high tax when it arrives :(

Any help is appreciated :eek:

You can use a mailbox service like Lanbox though that'll be expensive too, your best bet might be either buying an iMac in Brazil. You might also avoid taxes if you can prove the iMac is yours or whatever and you are just trying to get it shipped to Brazil. Hmm...

viperguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
Chone said:
You can use a mailbox service like Lanbox though that'll be expensive too, your best bet might be either buying an iMac in Brazil. You might also avoid taxes if you can prove the iMac is yours or whatever and you are just trying to get it shipped to Brazil. Hmm...

LOL buying it here is even MORE expensive.
If an iMac in the US is 1000 dollars, here in brazil it is 5000 dollars.
Maybe that's the why I didn't even consider this idea atm. I'm not crazy yet :p
Will check the Lanbox service.
And how would I prove the iMac is mine :confused:
Only if I told them I sent it for fix in the US and it's coming back... but I don't think customs are THAT stupid. lol
Edit: lanbox won't avoid taxes. actually i just found out that the real tax is something like 110%. Any other ideas???

Sobering

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
Get it shipped to a friend or relative in the USA and then you can go pick it up or they can bring it to you. When your crossing the border say it's your iMac and you were using it in the USA or something.

sgvarghese

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2006
The only way you will be able to get it without having to pay the cutsoms on it would be to travel with it from the States to Brazil. If you try to ship it, customs will get to it, and you will be out a lot of cash. An iMac plus roundtrip ticket has to be cheaper than buying the iMac there. Good luck...

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Way to go...

Do the math....
How uch would you pay if you ship it from the US to Brazil.... X amount

How much will cost you to buy a air ticket from Brazil to Miami (most common destination), and if you buy only your Mac and ship it to a friend in Miami you then pick it there, you'll always save some $$$$, in compairson to buying it in Brazil or if you import it and pay the taxes.....

I live in Venezuela and that's how I do it from here, our taxes are not as high as in Brazil however is worth to do it.

Or receive your "repaired" Mac in Brazil....so you pay only for the taxes on the repair performed....;)

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Hmm, well, it's smuggling, and I guess people have been doing that for eons. Use the cover of darkness and false papers. But basically it involves you going to fetch it, I suspect.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Gents, this is called breaking the law, and you'd be liable to play a fine and the duty if you are caught.

Sadly unfair taxes are a fact of life and are subject to the law, MacRumors cannot condone the discussion of smuggling on these boards, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.