Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harriflex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Since upgrading to a new 2021 24" M1 iMac, I have had so many issues in attempting to get correct advice from numerous Apple representatives as there is so much confusion over connection leads. Mine has four ports. Following a reply from Elgato, they confirm that their Video Capture device no longer works with the M1 iMac! I was then advised to purchase a Tendak HDMI Video Capture Card and cable. My desktop simply refuses to recognise any device, having tried numerous combinations of switching off, replacing HDMI leads etc. None of the following will recognise my JVC SVHS/DV player recorder. (Wondershare Filmora11 - iMovie - Quicktime - Photos).
Being in broadcast TV all my career, Macs were always so user friendly especially for Professional Media work. Its become an absolute NightMare!!

Attachments

• IMG_3253.jpg
    IMG_3253.jpg
    675.8 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Your iMac should have Thunderbolt ports. You may need the following adapters:
1. Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter
2. Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter
3. 4-pin Firewire to 8-pin Firewire adapter

The JVC SVHS/DV deck hopefully internally converts the VHS signal, as it plays, to a DV stream and sends it out via Firewire.

If that's the case, the above series of adapters should get the DV stream, and it's then just a matter of capturing the DV stream in iMovie if it's still capable.

Reactions: Harriflex

Harriflex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. I felt in the wilderness as Apple Support and Sales staff have been so unhelpful, even after travelling 100 miles to my nearest Retailer. Sadly nowadays they seem to lack training and enthusiasm. My Tape Deck is the JVC Mini DVA-VHS HR-DVS1EK. It does have a FireWire port on the front but I had assumed it was only DV output from the mini tapes. I will therefore check if there is a signal from the VHS replay, which should seeing that it allows intelligent dubbing. I have such a unique collection of Historical events on tape, it would be tragic not to be able to Digitise them. In some cases they would be the only copy, as UK Broadcasters destroyed so many programmes, never seeing the commercial opportunity to store for our future Heritage. Fingers crossed this resolves the problem. There must be so many like myself that simply want to transfer family archives.

Reactions: Rod Rod

Harriflex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
But that wouldn't be an issue with importing VHS video onto your iMac, as iOS is for iPhones, iPads etc.
Sorry have Edited the info to read that I use Monterey v12. Yes - However the issue with the M1 Macs is that they have moved from Intel to ARM instruction sets and drivers need to be rewritten usually. Elgato have written to confirm that the capture will not work!

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
That's too bad. I remember how for a while, Elgato ended up becoming the only USB video capture device for Mac to have a 64-bit capture utility app, thus keeping it a strong seller.

Also regarding Rod Rod's reply, while iMovie can still capture a DV stream, so can the QuickTime Player on Mac OS! This is handy if you want to use the footage in another video editing program that may not support DV capture (like the Apple Silicon version of Adobe Premiere Pro, or DaVinci Resolve or Cyberlink PowerDirector for Mac). I've done this with my M1 MacBook Air with the same adapters...
5C70873E-8044-46A9-80B2-FE2BFFB09775_1_105_c.jpeg

My Sony HandyCam DCR-TRV460 Digital8 camcorder can play back my older Hi8 videotapes, allowing me to digitize them with great ease. It also has analog-to-digital passthrough, so I can hook up a VCR to the camcorder to import footage from VHS tapes, even copy-protected ones (this came in handy when I was making my YouTube Poop of Disney's "Aladdin" almost three years ago)! For non copy-protected VHS tapes, I can use either my Canon Optura 60 or HV40 MiniDV camcorders and their analog-to-digital passthrough feature.

BCA59808-7E17-4192-A0A1-19425D4EF422_1_105_c.jpeg

Heck, my Apple Thunderbolt Display also makes for a nifty FireWire-to-Thunderbolt adapter, for if I want to use my MacBook Air in clamshell/dock mode. Though QuickTime Player couldn't really read this camcorder when capturing through the Thunderbolt Display, but iMovie can!

Harriflex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
That's too bad. I remember how for a while, Elgato ended up becoming the only USB video capture device for Mac to have a 64-bit capture utility app, thus keeping it a strong seller.

Also regarding Rod Rod's reply, while iMovie can still capture a DV stream, so can the QuickTime Player on Mac OS! This is handy if you want to use the footage in another video editing program that may not support DV capture (like the Apple Silicon version of Adobe Premiere Pro, or DaVinci Resolve or Cyberlink PowerDirector for Mac). I've done this with my M1 MacBook Air with the same adapters...
View attachment 1972987
My Sony HandyCam DCR-TRV460 Digital8 camcorder can play back my older Hi8 videotapes, allowing me to digitize them with great ease. It also has analog-to-digital passthrough, so I can hook up a VCR to the camcorder to import footage from VHS tapes, even copy-protected ones (this came in handy when I was making my YouTube Poop of Disney's "Aladdin" almost three years ago)! For non copy-protected VHS tapes, I can use either my Canon Optura 60 or HV40 MiniDV camcorders and their analog-to-digital passthrough feature.

View attachment 1972993
Heck, my Apple Thunderbolt Display also makes for a nifty FireWire-to-Thunderbolt adapter, for if I want to use my MacBook Air in clamshell/dock mode. Though QuickTime Player couldn't really read this camcorder when capturing through the Thunderbolt Display, but iMovie can!
Thanks for detailed reply. Sadly the JVC DV output is only from the DV tape player, that it does Dub across to. The only other outputs as I understand are the three Component and one SVHS. Elgato say their system isn’t compatible with the new 24” M1 iMacs. Sadly I didn’t realise this when I purchased. The Apple store are just as unhelpful and confused. Their support will not comment on third party adapters. Also as I understand it, the Thunderbolt ports will not accept an HDMI signal. It’s only an output for another monitor!

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I keep an old Mac around just for this capture function case and a couple old software packages I like i.e DVDSP.

Reactions: Harriflex

jideuzel

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2023
Bruxelles
Since upgrading to a new 2021 24" M1 iMac, I have had so many issues in attempting to get correct advice from numerous Apple representatives as there is so much confusion over connection leads. Mine has four ports. Following a reply from Elgato, they confirm that their Video Capture device no longer works with the M1 iMac! I was then advised to purchase a Tendak HDMI Video Capture Card and cable. My desktop simply refuses to recognise any device, having tried numerous combinations of switching off, replacing HDMI leads etc. None of the following will recognise my JVC SVHS/DV player recorder. (Wondershare Filmora11 - iMovie - Quicktime - Photos).
Being in broadcast TV all my career, Macs were always so user friendly especially for Professional Media work. Its become an absolute NightMare!!
Does ROXIO VHS to DVD not work ?.... look at their web page, they undoubtedly say that it's compatible with chips M1

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2023-02-25 à 18.13.16.png
    Capture d’écran 2023-02-25 à 18.13.16.png
    730.7 KB · Views: 186
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.