Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

37Packard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2020
I recently received a CD containing a very large, approx. 900 pages, document containing family history. Unfortunately it is in Word 97 format and contains macros. I downloaded LibreOffice in an attempt to open this file and see if I can save it in a different format. However, the file would never open even within 25 minutes. I have looked at Pagemaker and Pages but did not see any versions that said they were compatible with 10.12. Does anyone have any better ideas on how I can get this document opened and converted?
Thanks to anyone who is able to provide information.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I recently received a CD containing a very large, approx. 900 pages, document containing family history. Unfortunately it is in Word 97 format and contains macros. I downloaded LibreOffice in an attempt to open this file and see if I can save it in a different format. However, the file would never open even within 25 minutes. I have looked at Pagemaker and Pages but did not see any versions that said they were compatible with 10.12. Does anyone have any better ideas on how I can get this document opened and converted?
Thanks to anyone who is able to provide information.
You should be able open it with a current version of Word, except that current versions of Word don’t support Sierra anymore. Try importing it into Pages. (This will probably break any macros, though.)

37Packard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Well, I will admit that I have not been keeping my OS up to date. Do you recommend I install updates beginning with 10.13 and up to 10.15 individually? Will 10.13 install over 10.12.6?

37Packard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2020
You may ignore my previous question. Apple Support told me that my vintage iMac does not support Catalina. I'll try another route. Thanks for your help.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
You may ignore my previous question. Apple Support told me that my vintage iMac does not support Catalina. I'll try another route. Thanks for your help.
Your Mac doesn't need to go to Catalina. Office currently supports High Sierra and newer with the latest versions. High Sierra will lose Office support in the fall, however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.