Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I've tried several times to install Windows 10 through bootcamp with only one time working.

I've got the 2019 base iMac 27.

The problem is when creating the partitions during the bootcamp assistant install process.

Is it a bug with Mojave?

Does everyone else experience the same issue when trying to install Windows 10 through bootcamp?

Thanks!

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
sometimes, Windows installer is confused by the mere presence of external drives.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I've tried three times with Fusion drive and three times it has failed.

I hope Apple fixes this. It should work flawlessly.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Had no issues installing it, but the bootcamp partition isn’t accessible from MacOS. It’s not showing up, neither for read-only file access nor in the start-up disk chooser.

It works fine though - need to hold the option key at boot up to choose windows. Which is a pain as the option key doesn’t work on the magic keyboard unless it’s connected via USB.

Haven’t found any clues at all as to how to fix this unfortunately.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
The supplemental update from Apple fixed the issue for me, but the install process took a while.

Everything is working fine now, but don't know if next time it will work again.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
I've tried several times to install Windows 10 through bootcamp with only one time working.

I've got the 2019 base iMac 27.

The problem is when creating the partitions during the bootcamp assistant install process.

Is it a bug with Mojave?

Does everyone else experience the same issue when trying to install Windows 10 through bootcamp?

Thanks!

yes it's a bug with Mojave.
return the mac and get one with SSD storage to save lots of nerves

Phoeniix

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2019
Florida
yes it's a bug with Mojave.
return the mac and get one with SSD storage to save lots of nerves

I have an SSD drive on my MacBook Pro 2018 and I have had this and other problems trying to install ANY version of Windows 10 under Mojave. I have even managed to get the Win10 install started, and when install gets to the first windows reboot it can't reset the Mac's boot preferences and aborts the install... so I am not sure an SSD will help anything. I had installed it under Maverick and had successfully kept it when updating to High Sierra and Mojave. Until Apple gets around to fixing this mess, I think maybe the best work around is to go back to a version of MacOS that allows a successful install and then update the MacOS. I am going to resort to this strategy myself for my current setup, I hope this is helpful to others.

MacOS_specs.png

Phoeniix

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2019
Florida
Update:
I was able to successfully install Windows 10 pro using a hybrid method. This is what worked for me...

1. Download the "Windows Support" software.
2. Create a bootable Windows install USB (Use an 8GB stick). Add the Windows Support folder to the USB.
Eject the USB, do not leave plugged in!
3. Run Bootcamp assistant to create the partition for bootcamp using an ISO of Windows on the APFS partition.
4. CRITICAL: When Bootcamp assistant initializes the reboot to install Windows interrupt the reboot by holding
down the option key.

5. When the boot options come up, insert the Windows installer USB. When it's image appears, select it and boot.
6. DO NOT reformat the NTFS partition created by Bootcamp assistant, just proceed to the Windows install.
7. When Windows install can't find the SSD drive: (you may need to use the "virtual keyboard" for this)
Select the Apple SSD driver from the Bootcamp folder in the windows support folder and install the driver.
8. Proceed with the Windows install.
9. For me, Windows install completed, I then went to the Windows Support/Bootcamp folder and ran Setup to
install the rest of the Bootcamp drivers and software.
10. Delete the OS/X reserved partition when done.

PS. You may also need to use a wired mouse to complete this install method, I did.
I don't think I left out any steps, good luck people!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.