Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manu334

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Apologies if this has been addressed before.
I'm trying to connect my Mac (Mojave) to a Windows 10 PC via SSH, however I keep getting "Operation timed out" errors.
I can ping and ssh myself and other Macs but when I try to ping any PC I get this kind of error

——————————————————————
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
Request timeout for icmp_seq 3
^C
--- 137.44.4.153 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
——————————————————————

I would be very grateful if someone could point out my problem!

Emmanuel

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Did you install some sort of SSH server on the PC? SSH server isn't a functionality built into Windows.
As for the failure to ping, it may be that the PCs have a firewall running that blocks pings.

manu334

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
A SSH server is set up on the PC (Other PCs are able to SSH connect to mine) and I've disabled the firewalls on both PC and Mac.

EDIT: My colleague's mac (El capitan) is able to connect to the PC so it seems the problem is coming from my mac

Last edited:

manu334

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Solved: The PC was on the eduroam wifi and it seems that was the problem. Once connected to the eduroam ehternet, I could ssh it.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Solved: The PC was on the eduroam wifi and it seems that was the problem. Once connected to the eduroam ehternet, I could ssh it.

Yes it was on another subnet so when it was in the correct network the firewall wasn’t involved stopping you! By the way is new network a Domain of some kind?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.