Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Well the demo (currently a beta actually) for the much anticipated Unreal Tournament 3 came out today. Being a huge UT fan I immediately downloaded it.

Obviously the biggest improvement in this installment is the graphics, but firstly I'll say how awesome all the new vehicles and weapons are, while most are just rehashes of UT2004 weapons and vehicles, they are MUCH improved in little ways, the maps in the demo are amazingly detailed, lots of secret spots. The new partial system is down right jaw dropping. This game makes Bioshock looks like childs play, and yes I know they are on the same engine, but it takes the creator to make it shine. I'm still unimpressed with Bioshock.

As for graphics I'm quite pleased with the performance, I'm running Catalyst 7.10, I am averaging about 35fps at 1920x1200 with texture and world detail at 4 (out of 5), at 1440x900 with everything turned all the way up it averages about 58fps. Yeah this is nothing like the 85+ fps average that this system gets in UT2004 at 1920x1200 max settings, but It's a new game that is pushing system limits.

The Audio just like other UT installments is equally as amazing, great announcer voices, awesome effects.

It feels a lot smoother than 35fps usually feels, but then again this is Unreal, Epic knows how to make a game like no other.

The retail version of this game is definitely on my list.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
I did some playing around with the settings, if you change screen render percentage to 60% instead of 100% (not sure what this feature really does, maybe its draw distance, but it goes from 50-100%) texture and world detail to max, and 1920x1200, it gives about 42fps average, and it looks better.

Sorry I didn't see your post, I'm back in OSX now, I'll get some later.

icecone

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Thank you
Did you change screen size to 100?
Looking forward to see the mac demo:D

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Thank you
Did you change screen size to 100?
Looking forward to see the mac demo:D

I already know for a fact that I'm buying the retail version of this for Mac. Cant wait till it comes out.

I would be still playing it but its still too new, no good servers running it yet.

EDIT: What do you mean did I change screen size to 100? I'm running fullscreen at 1920x1200, so yeah that would be 100 if that's what you mean.

The screen render percentage I was referring to is something totally different. I'm thinking it has something to do with Anisotropic filtering or draw distance. I can't tell any difference from 50-100%.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Are you running the Windows version of UT3? Or is there actually a Mac native demo available?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Based on "I'm back in OSX now, I'll get some later" I assume it's Windows, even though this isn't explicitly stated.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I've got it too on my SR MBP 2.2. On max settings at 1440x900 I can get around 30 fps consistently in fights. It looks really smooth. The graphics look amazing too. The unreal 3 engine is amazing (same engine in bioshock and gears of war).

Dr. Rengers

macrumors member
May 9, 2007
The Netherlands
Wow, thanks for the review man!
And since this is only a beta, I expect performace to go up when nearing release.

Maybe you can take the fps cap off, because that limits the fps to 62 (that's what I read, I don't even come near 62 right now :rolleyes: )

Dr. Rengers

icecone

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
I've got it too on my SR MBP 2.2. On max settings at 1440x900 I can get around 30 fps consistently in fights. It looks really smooth. The graphics look amazing too. The unreal 3 engine is amazing (same engine in bioshock and gears of war).

thats is cool
again
screen percentage 100%?
(F9 for screenshot)
i'm afraid the mac version is worse

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
thats is cool
again
screen percentage 100%?
(F9 for screenshot)
i'm afraid the mac version is worse

its in bootcamp

with screen percentage at 100 i get 25-30, with it at 75 i get 28-35 or so. With it at 50%, i get 60+. I'm not sure what it does though..my guess was that it rendered your settings (5/5 or w/e) for x% of the screen and 1/1 for the rest. I guess its b\c you look in the center of the screen instead of the edges. My guess though. No idea what this does. Same with hardware physics option. I enabled it and it didn't seem to do anything or give me a fps hit.

icecone

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
its in bootcamp

with screen percentage at 100 i get 25-30, with it at 75 i get 28-35 or so. With it at 50%, i get 60+. I'm not sure what it does though..my guess was that it rendered your settings (5/5 or w/e) for x% of the screen and 1/1 for the rest. I guess its b\c you look in the center of the screen instead of the edges. My guess though. No idea what this does. Same with hardware physics option. I enabled it and it didn't seem to do anything or give me a fps hit.

at 50%, it renders 900*450, at 100%, it renders 1440*900. There should be GREAT differences in the quality
for the hardware physics, it's meaningless unless you have a ageix physics card

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
There isnt a bench test in the demo then? Also I notice the interface on this game suffers from consolitis big time. A pain to manuever around. Screams controller:mad: Also I notice I have to reset my settings each time I open the game.

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
How did you update to Catalyst 7.10? I tried downloading the ones off the ati site but when I goto install it says it can't find a compatible piece of hardware.

Do you have a link to ones you got? Im using one of the new 2.4ghz Aluminum iMacs.

socamx

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
This game runs beautifully on my shiny new Macbook Pro (2.2 ghz Core2, 8600 GT with 128 mb), I used Win XP Professional 2. Ran it at 1440x900 with everything turned up and post-processing effects set to "Muted". I got about 30-40 FPS on the VCTF map, but it felt smoother than that.

Not sure I like this game however, I think it needs to grow on me some and need more time with it. Gotta tweak some input settings and whatnot too. Also gotta get out of the double-dodge mindset of UT2004. It definitely feels much more like the original UT than it does UT2004; which for me, is a plus.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
This is *exactly* the thread I was looking for. I was wavering between a new 24" iMac vs. keeping my existing milky white 20" iMac and buying a PC for gaming. From what I'm reading, UT3 is highly playable on the iMac. This makes me so happy because I really didn't want to shell out the ducats for a PC.

Has anyone played the Call of Duty 4 demo yet on their iMac???

Farani

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
Anyone try running the demo on a 24" iMac yet? I had no intentions of running Vista but... since the demo is out and the game is out Nov 18th and it's not out for mac or for xbox 360, looks like I'll be dual booting this copy of vista i have sitting here.

When I get Leopard installed (I should get it tomorrow) I'll load up the beta of UT3 and give some results on how it runs on my 24" iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.