Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Not sure if it has been discusses, but I am LOVING the improvements to Carplay in iOS 13! The layout is great, and FINALLY ... album cover art is displayed in Carplay music apps!! Not some superimposed, dark image that you can't see...actual album art!

I feel like it's Christmas because now I can have Spotify playing in the car, and switch to another app on my phone and Spotify STAYS on the Carplay display! It was always a pain to lose focus of the Carplay display because I switched to a different app on my phone.

Anyone else find any new features in Carplay in iOS 13.

Reactions: redman042

drnycallstar19

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Speaking of Carplay improvements, did I remember incorrectly or did Apple Say that you can change the default apps to appear on the new homescreen? I though I was going to have the capability of placing Google Maps on the maps space instead of having Apple Maps on it. Or maybe Google has to include the capability in the app?

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Speaking of Carplay improvements, did I remember incorrectly or did Apple Say that you can change the default apps to appear on the new homescreen? I though I was going to have the capability of placing Google Maps on the maps space instead of having Apple Maps on it. Or maybe Google has to include the capability in the app?
You could/can do that in iOS12. Go to CarPlay settings on your phone.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It's really terrific, and still a lot of great potential to tap into with the new SDK. I commented in another CP thread, maybe we can get these merged, and yes, we needed a thread to discuss :)

Remington Steel

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2016
As far as I know, you can ONLY use Apple Maps in the split screen. Hopefully Google Maps and Waze will be allowed in future updates.

Reactions: RyCan3 and Wackery

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I’m really liking the CarPlay improvements as well. Much cleaner and more informative layout. Using phone doesn’t affect focus. Siri voice is much more natural. Calendar app is nice. Definitely a welcome upgrade.

My only hope is that it improves reliability, as I have had the occasional headunit reboot and other glitches, but I’m not sure if the CarPlay code or the headunit was the issue. We’ll see.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
I’m really liking the CarPlay improvements as well. Much cleaner and more informative layout. Using phone doesn’t affect focus. Siri voice is much more natural. Calendar app is nice. Definitely a welcome upgrade.

My only hope is that it improves reliability, as I have had the occasional headunit reboot and other glitches, but I’m not sure if the CarPlay code or the headunit was the issue. We’ll see.

I did have a glitch starting Google Play Music (it never really got to the music screen) but not sure if it was Carplay or just that my iPhone wasn't unlocked.

Otherwise, it's been pretty solid. iOS 13.1 is in a few days. :)

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
I’m having problems since the update. While driving I voice search for a place, siri says she found something, but it doesn’t show. Can’t add by voice to navigation.

I just reset the phone and downloaded the backup, will see tomorrow if that helps.

marzfreerider

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Germany
While I do like the update, my only issue is in my 2017 Mazda3 while on maps, if I ask Siri something the map doesn't keep up with the driving (freezes or lags behind). After Siri is done talking the map will catch up. Hope it's just a bug that will be fixed with 13.1

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
The other thing I noticed in new CarPlay is that when music is playing it shows cover art - under the old one when you played music the ugliest display possible and no cover art

ZStation

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2011
CarPlay is finally usable, works great now. The old version was terrible on the 8" screen on my car. So bad I just used Bluetooth audio and the car's own Satnav.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
I’d like to use CarPlay. But it’s wired only in my car which is so inconvenient for me that it’s useless. Stuck with Bluetooth audio and yelling at Siri on my watch.

Anyone know of a wireless CarPlay dongle I can plug into the CarPlay USB port of my car? I looked at the Carlinkit dongle but it seems to require android auto and needs to be rooted for it to work.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
I’d like to use CarPlay. But it’s wired only in my car which is so inconvenient for me that it’s useless. Stuck with Bluetooth audio and yelling at Siri on my watch.

Anyone know of a wireless CarPlay dongle I can plug into the CarPlay USB port of my car? I looked at the Carlinkit dongle but it seems to require android auto and needs to be rooted for it to work.
I believe the Carplay support in the car has to support wireless. There aren't any "converters".

Curious what is so inconvenient? Wireless would be easier, but with a dash mount for the iPhone and a cable, it's pretty easy.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
I believe the Carplay support in the car has to support wireless. There aren't any "converters".

Curious what is so inconvenient? Wireless would be easier, but with a dash mount for the iPhone and a cable, it's pretty easy.
Short distances, getting in and out of the car, constantly taking out and putting away the phone. Can’t leave the phone in the car the weather here would cause the battery to explode on top of constantly charging the battery for short bursts degrades the battery health rapidly. It’s a dumb system as it is, really only used CarPlay once on a long road trip. I’d use it more if it was wireless, but when everything is 3 to 20 miles from me, I’m not in my car long enough to bother with it.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Short distances, getting in and out of the car, constantly taking out and putting away the phone. Can’t leave the phone in the car the weather here would cause the battery to explode on top of constantly charging the battery for short bursts degrades the battery health rapidly. It’s a dumb system as it is, really only used CarPlay once on a long road trip. I’d use it more if it was wireless, but when everything is 3 to 20 miles from me, I’m not in my car long enough to bother with it.
I use a magnetic mount on my AC vent in the dash and have a magnet inside my case. No fuss at all.
The lightning cable is always hanging right there, takes 3 seconds to plug in.

With regards to the battery, I've used Carplay since I got my car (almost 3 years) and my iPhone 7 Plus battery health is 91%.

chillg8r

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
Durham,NC
I use a magnetic mount on my AC vent in the dash and have a magnet inside my case. No fuss at all.

With regards to the battery, I've used Carplay since I got my car (almost 3 years) and my iPhone 7 Plus battery health is 91%.

Yep, I don’t even think about it any more, its become routine to plug in and my phone is always charged when I arrive anywhere.

I guess it will be nice when wireless charging pads and wireless carplay is ubiquitous but until then this works.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007

Mount wouldn’t work for me. My car’s CarPlay port is in a cubby underneath the arm rest so that would need a long cable plus having a cable go across the drink holders and gear shift. Then you are laying the phone on a scalding hot plate exposing the battery to unsafe temperatures. If I wait for the AC to cool the mount down I’d already be at my destination making it all pointless.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Mount wouldn’t work for me. My car’s CarPlay port is in a cubby underneath the arm rest so that would need a long cable plus having a cable go across the drink holders and gear shift. Then you are laying the phone on a scalding hot plate exposing the battery to unsafe temperatures. If I wait for the AC to cool the mount down I’d already be at my destination making it all pointless.

The plate is not "scalding hot". It's rubber. Then there is your case + a magnet and the iPhone back case itself before you get to the battery. There are never "unsafe temperatures" on the battery.

I certainly love my setup.

It sounds like you are in the car for so little time, there's barely time to even enjoy a song. It does all seem pointless.

Reactions: iterva

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
The plate is not "scalding hot". It's rubber. Then there is your case + a magnet and the iPhone back case itself before you get to the battery. There are never "unsafe temperatures" on the battery.

I certainly love my setup.

It sounds like you are in the car for so little time, there's barely time to even enjoy a song. It does all seem pointless.
In Arizona there are absolutely unsafe temperatures for the battery. Cables transfer that heat too. Batteries degrade faster if charging while hot. Aside from convenience wireless works best here.

I’m fine with the Bluetooth option. It would just be nice to use CarPlay and was hoping there was a 3rd party wireless dongle that I could plug into the USB port of the car. I don’t think it would be to hard to make.

paulie6978

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
The Cradle of Liberty
i like the new setup but i have been experiencing my iphone 11 pro disconnecting from carplay at random when the phone is still plugged in. Very odd and annoying. Hopefully its fixed in 13.1

idrewuk

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
New CarPlay is one of the greatest triumphs to come from iOS 13... absolutely loving it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.