Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
Got 13" 2019 MBP - my battery capacity is 82.% and 490 cycles. It's terrible. It maybe lasts 3 hours. Is there anything can do to boost it back, conditioning etc... Replacement?

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Got 13" 2019 MBP - my battery capacity is 82.% and 490 cycles. It's terrible. It maybe lasts 3 hours. Is there anything can do to boost it back, conditioning etc... Replacement?
82% after ~500 cycles is fairly normal (I'm at about 75% after 680 cycles). Replacement is possible either DIY or via Apple.

In general degradation rate increases at high battery temperatures (e.g. >35deg C)

There is nothing that can be done: it's physical degradation of the battery structure. And it's complex:

"five principal degradation mechanisms that are most commonly considered to be the cause of battery degradation during normal operation. These are SEI layer growth, lithium plating, PE decomposition and particle fracture at both electrodes. These five principal degradation mechanisms interact with each other and give rise to thirteen secondary degradation mechanisms"

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2021/cp/d1cp00359c#

Reactions: Jmgilliam18

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
82% after ~500 cycles is fairly normal (I'm at about 75% after 680 cycles). Replacement is possible either DIY or via Apple.

In general degradation rate increases at high battery temperatures (e.g. >35deg C)

There is nothing that can be done: it's physical degradation of the battery structure. And it's complex:

"five principal degradation mechanisms that are most commonly considered to be the cause of battery degradation during normal operation. These are SEI layer growth, lithium plating, PE decomposition and particle fracture at both electrodes. These five principal degradation mechanisms interact with each other and give rise to thirteen secondary degradation mechanisms"

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2021/cp/d1cp00359c#
Thanks. Dang was hoping something could do. I may just use this one as the plugged in all the time running monitors and get an M1 for regular use off monitors

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Thanks. Dang was hoping something could do. I may just use this one as the plugged in all the time running monitors and get an M1 for regular use off monitors
Sure, that's a possibility but I'm not sure if I understand your problem: in my case the reduction of real world battery life is from around six hours of usage to about 4 1/2 hours.
Even when new I needed to take my charger with me if I wanted to do a full days work at the office, and now 4.5 hours between charges is more than enough for working away from a socket (eg meetings, cafe, airport)

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Mine is 88%, also 2019 MBP. I read that you can actually not use the energy saving charging settings on the computer, that will increase its battery life, because that settings automatically lower battery charge to prolong its life (which is already 2 years of use).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.