Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mickblue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2020
Hi newbie here. Hope this is the correct forum. We've had a new iOS app built and its about to go to Apple for approval/rejection. It has an in-app purchase option. We've used Stripe payments for this feature. But we've been told by a third party that Apple insist on Apple Pay and do not allow any other purchase platform within their apps. Is this true?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
That would surprise me greatly, since payouts from the App Store and in-app purchases have existed long before Apple Pay.
In app purchases must go through Apple on the front end, but how the money is handled after that I’m pretty sure is entirely up to you.
That said, I haven’t actually tried. I’ve not yet published anything that I’ve charged for anywhere :)

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Hi newbie here. Hope this is the correct forum. We've had a new iOS app built and its about to go to Apple for approval/rejection. It has an in-app purchase option. We've used Stripe payments for this feature. But we've been told by a third party that Apple insist on Apple Pay and do not allow any other purchase platform within their apps. Is this true?

For in-app purchases you have to go through Apple.

This precludes you from using Stripe etc. as Apple will take their cut and send you the rest.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
For in-app purchases you have to go through Apple.

This precludes you from using Stripe etc. as Apple will take their cut and send you the rest.

Probably should’ve added to my original message that I don’t know what Stripe is. I figured it was a system for after Apple had paid out the IAP money. I wouldn’t call the IAP system Apple Pay, similar to how regular app purchases and their payouts with the iTunes Connect system isn’t Apple Pay. But if Stripe is like a front-end system for enabling payments to the user, it would only work if it goes through Apple on your behalf, yeah

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2017
For IAP, you must use Apple's provided system. Otherwise your app will be rejected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.