Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oka

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2013
What exactly is "In-App Purchases"?

I have downloaded apps with "In-App Purchases" where some would have ads, some no ads but would need a log-in and some would have limited access.

Thanks

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
In App purchases ( IAP's) come in two main types:
1. Payment which permanently gives you something, maybe no ads or more levels etc
2. consumable items which you need to keep buying over and over, usually gems or other items that help the game.
Also sometimes they can be just a tip for the developer who is giving you a free app. Sometimes called 'by me a coffee'

Also be aware of subscriptions: Apps get you to buy a recurring subscription which might be monthly or yearly. It's easy to start these going then forget you have them.

Oka

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2013
In App purchases ( IAP's) come in two main types:
1. Payment which permanently gives you something, maybe no ads or more levels etc
2. consumable items which you need to keep buying over and over, usually gems or other items that help the game.
Also sometimes they can be just a tip for the developer who is giving you a free app. Sometimes called 'by me a coffee'

Also be aware of subscriptions: Apps get you to buy a recurring subscription which might be monthly or yearly. It's easy to start these going then forget you have them.
Thanks for your reply.

1. I will love to "permanently" give me the software.
2. This is why I ask so I don't fall into this type. In Windows, I have lots of apps with 'by me a coffee', where $5 is so worth the app, and more.

The subscription have gotten me a few time. I had to call the App Store to rectify such, and I have been very lucky. This 'trap' is so easy to fall into. True one may forget it's existence or don't even know it is on.

Now, is there a way to filter the App Store for the type of purchase I need?

Thanks again.

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
no way to filter really. The best thing to do is look for games & apps with an up-front price or to read what the developer says. re In apps you are looking for Non-Consumable (one time payment)
Non-consumable In-App Purchases only need to be purchased once by users. Services that do not expire or decrease with use are usually implemented as non-consumables, such as new race tracks for a game app.
Also worth reading reviews from users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.