Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
If you get a CarPlay unit already integrated into your car, is it the manufacturer who would have to update it (probably at an obscene charge) ?

Just I know after market CarPlay units seem to have firmware updates sometimes but wondered if in built needed them?

Is CarPlay actually updated on the head unit or is it all.just via an iOS update so technically the head unit shouldn't need an update?

I'm thinking if I ever get a CarPlay unit built in, then iOS 12,13 etc comes out it will stop working?

Thanks

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If you get a CarPlay unit already integrated into your car, is it the manufacturer who would have to update it (probably at an obscene charge) ?

Just I know after market CarPlay units seem to have firmware updates sometimes but wondered if in built needed them?

Is CarPlay actually updated on the head unit or is it all.just via an iOS update so technically the head unit shouldn't need an update?

I'm thinking if I ever get a CarPlay unit built in, then iOS 12,13 etc comes out it will stop working?

Thanks

The car manufacturer may have firmware updates for their hardware (often you can download it from the vehicle manufacturers webpage to USB). CarPlay itself is updated from Apple via the iPhone.

Reactions: ColoArtist

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Heard that my car's manufacturer has sent a software update to its dealers that'll help with CarPlay random disconnection issues.

But for your bigger question -- who updates CarPlay itself? -- that's Apple. A recent iOS update also brought changes to the CarPlay UI.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Heard that my car's manufacturer has sent a software update to its dealers that'll help with CarPlay random disconnection issues.
So will this be free update for you or will they charge the extortionate prices for updates like they do Sat Nav updates?

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
So will this be free update for you or will they charge the extortionate prices for updates like they do Sat Nav updates?

Should be a free update. The Garmin-based nav updates have also been free (so far, anyway; got the car just last April).

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
If I remember correctly from reading my manual and I’m sure I am. Because my car has its own LTE connection, it just does it ota when there’s an update. But I think you can do it with a USB drive if you don’t have a built-in network.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

There are a lot of variables, warranty status, what the update does (is it essential, does it upgrade stuff), how long it takes, the dealership in general and even who you are (do you bring that dealership business, or a loyal customer).

Keep in mind mechanics are flat rate, if you (or the vehicle manufacturer) aren't paying them then they aren't getting paid. There are ways around this, like having a hourly guy do it (oil changers, lot guys, etc) or having a mechanic do it and they get an hourly guys jobs in flat rate which is more of a loop hole.

I would first check to see if its something you can do yourself, for example this is an update for a specific year C-Class...

http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/gb/en/w205:2014-09:2015-02/download

Just download it and install it.

The dealership may just go above and beyond and do it for free regardless of warranty (if you buy a lot of vehicles from them they certainly will). I have a friend who is a master tech for a Chevy dealer and just a couple days ago he upgraded the system in a Malibu to support Android Auto. They took a couple oil changes off the hourly guys and put it under him (flat rate hours sold) and didn't charge the customer anything. That said he was still pissed about it though because he missed a couple good paying jobs in the process.

A dealership could use this is a sales tactic too and do it for free. Update the firmware and then try to sell you on transmission services and new brakes or whatever.

If I were to guess a price it would probably be 1/2 hour time paid out which around where I live would be 50-80 bucks.

Reactions: ColoArtist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.