Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I use a photo/graphic design app. I want to store saved PreSets for many of the items used within the app. How do I get permission to save to any folder within my System Applications folders? I don't have to manually give each folder permission w Apple+I do I? I am the owner of the iMac, the only user, I want access to any folder I choose, to store settings I have made.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
I use a photo/graphic design app. I want to store saved PreSets for many of the items used within the app. How do I get permission to save to any folder within my System Applications folders? I don't have to manually give each folder permission w Apple+I do I? I am the owner of the iMac, the only user, I want access to any folder I choose, to store settings I have made.

on my catalina system there are 3 instances of folders that are called Applications:

computer / hard disk / System / Applications (i can not find an easy way to write to this folder directly at all)

computer / hard disk / Applications (all of the above System / Applications are here (probably as alias type links, but cant be deleted; but can install user apps here no problem)

computer / hard disk / User / Home / Applications (User specific apps can be written here also no problem)

so installing into computer / hard disk / Applications should give you what you want.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
If you're talking about Macintosh HD > System > Applications - Apple doesn't want you (or rogue apps) from modifying the contents of the System folder. Lower vulnerability to exploits.

The System folder has been moved to a separate, read-only volume.

This article explains things, to a degree: https://support.apple.com/HT210650

I'm curious, does this app not let you create and store presets as part of its normal functionality?

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I am asked where do you want to store the item. Then i have to give my password
[automerge]1578349969[/automerge]
Its stupid, I’m the only user. Does this have anything to do with SIP? Such a hassle

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
If you choose to store the data anywhere but your currently-signed-in user account's folders, you'll be asked for a password. That's how Unix security works. The OS can't know that you're the only person who ever sits at that keyboard. It has to assume the possibility that someone other than you may try to use the computer, and that you do not want that person to have the freedom to do as he/she pleases.

In this day and age the OS also has to assume you may accidentally install malware, and that malware should not be allowed to hijack your "right" to do as you please to your computer.

The simple answer here is, save those presets to a folder created in your User (home) account. Don't try to put them in the System.

Reactions: 26139
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.