Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
what a stupid comment.

Not a stupid comment. Apple has and never will do AAA gaming. L33T G4M3R$ have been begging and speculating that Apple will do this since I started even caring about technology and that was when Mac OS 9 was still relevant. Go buy a 7 pound, RGB-laden monstrosity to turn your brain off while us Mac professionals use our devices as tools to generate money and improve this world.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
Far past time. Current CV19 less deadly than current flu (data not my opinion) so it’s time to go back to normal life. We are not going to wear masks every flu season and cancel everything for the flu so let’s act like it’s 2022 and assess the data we have now. Time to get back on with life.
But my fear-based life fantasy wants to continue. Can I get another year pweeese?

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
I haven’t watched an Apple event for a year partly because they aren’t in person anymore. They lack energy, authenticity and the human connection that comes with an audience. Another reason I passed is because of the woke rot I see in their adverts now. I’m sick of it. And finally, they simply aren’t putting much new out there anymore. Am waiting for the new VR gear. Been waiting for 5 years.
I am also excited about the potential of an Apple VR headset, but if it's priced in the rumored $3,000 range, it's DOA.

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
I miss the live, vulnerability, in person moments. Such a strong vibe. Sure, use some production, but get back on with it Being in person. Let us feel like a fly in the room again.

As an aside, after my original post, I found out the Canadian border is opening up to the USA again with no restrictions effective October 1. My thought is that if it is good enough to have the border opened again, then things can continue to go back to some normalcy like it was before the pandemic.

Edited to add new info about the border.
The news about the US / Canadian border is positive!

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
More signs that the pandemic, even if only politically and socially (and not technically) is basically over.
I have never attended big events anyway, but I'm so glad to see things slowly getting back to normal.

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
I hope they go back to live events and tighten up the keynotes. 30 minutes at most. The days of jaw-dropping demos and earth-shattering new features seem to be over so let's not try to gaslight everyone for over an hour.

Reactions: sorgo †

madebybela

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2020
Montebello, CA
Not a stupid comment. Apple has and never will do AAA gaming. L33T G4M3R$ have been begging and speculating that Apple will do this since I started even caring about technology and that was when Mac OS 9 was still relevant. Go buy a 7 pound, RGB-laden monstrosity to turn your brain off while us Mac professionals use our devices as tools to generate money and improve this world.
wtf are you talking about, they used AAA games on stage in the late 90s/early 2000s to show off GPU power in even their consumer iMacs lol
stop LARPing

Reactions: Realityck

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
They'll just start charging a thousand dollars for in person tickets and call it the Double Plus experience tier. A new way of interacting with Apple.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
I wish they'd end the conferences with a live talk or demonstration and let registered developers who are watching to write and vote on questions to be asked. It'd be like the old Jobs presentations where it felt like anything could happen, someone would shout out an important or challenging question and Jobs would give a funny answer and explain it to the best of his knowledge. It'd add some spontaneity to these increasingly staged and pre-recorded proceedings.

• Love
Reactions: -DMN-

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021

You'd best start buying another brand then, because Apple is hugely popular place for AAA mobile gaming and has been for some time. And has made billions from it too.
And they have had their fair share of AAA Mac games too and still are promoting them with its Metal 3, did you miss the last keynote where they specifically showcased Resident Evil Village running in the Apple silicon Mac?

Last edited:

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
AAA gaming is getting too absurd. Cyberpunk, Saints Row, Halo Infinite got bad news, micro transactions, loot boxes, “what you guys don’t have phones” attitude with Diablo, GTA “remaster”, and many more things going on. My biggest hobby is not really interesting me lately with all these non stop issues.

Not everything revolves around AAA gaming though. I play many games on the Mac just fine.

Reactions: Realityck

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
AAA gaming is getting too absurd. Cyberpunk, Saints Row, Halo Infinite got bad news, micro transactions, loot boxes, “what you guys don’t have phones” attitude with Diablo, GTA “remaster”, and many more things going on. My biggest hobby is not really interesting me lately with all these non stop issues.

Not everything revolves around AAA gaming though. I play many games on the Mac just fine.

I agree with you completely! Gaming has a place on the Mac - I'd like to clarify my first post in this thread. Apple Arcade is one of my favorite subscriptions.

But those cheaply hacked-together AAA games with terrible experiences that haven't evolved since the Xbox 360 generation outside of improved graphics. Those don't belong on the Mac.

And the people agree. Apple makes more money from gaming than anyone else. People just don't respect AAA game studios that release their games years behind schedule, with bugs galore that inexplicably take up 120GBs of storage with 15 GBs per update. No thank you!

Reactions: Ethosik

podycust

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2017
I might be biased not being in the US.. but The last couple of years the prerecorded show was much better..
or just keep it like this year some in person and mostly online.. in person WWDC is only great if you can get to it.

if it isn't broke why fix it? just because everyone else is doing doesn't mean its a good idea lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.