Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I have been using an iPod Touch 6G for several years now. It is my bedside table ebook reader, for the middle of the night, grab 'n' read sessions. I also keep my To Dos and notes on it.

While I have an iPhone SE 2016, without carrier service, which I got NEW at a steal of a price, as a potential IPT replacement, I've never switched over to it.

Why?

Because the iPod Touch is so lightweight, easy to handle, easy to grip, and especially good at night. The iPhone is just enough cumbersome or hard to grip that the IPT wins out. I use the “iPod SE“ (its nickname) for tracking walks, listening to podcasts during exercise sessions, and occasional news views.

Works great for that.

Generally, though, I’m on my iPad Air or MacBook Air for other things.

Do wish that the IPT had better battery life, but it's not bad if you avoid Wi-Fi.

How about you?

What appeals to you about these “Slim Jim“ featherweight, thin devices?

philrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
When I was an Android and/or BB user, I always had an IPT with me. It was definitely my go-to for music, pics, and vids. I think the 5th gen was my last as I switched to iPhone full-time in late 2013. Sadly, the screen is too small for these eyes nowadays.
My daughter has a 6th gen and uses the hell out of it. It's perfect for 9yo hands. If they were to release an 8th gen I would buy it for her in a heartbeat.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I use my 7th gen mostly at night for watching commentary videos or listening to ASMR videos before going to bed. I've got iMessage and everything shut off, so it's not really a distraction compared to my phone.

rjalda100

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
I love the 6th gen iPod Touch. The one I bought at release nearly 7 years ago now is still going strong, still running iOS 9 (it’s buttery smooth and has great battery life, which is why I choose not to update it). I mostly use it nowadays for streaming Apple Music, as well as an ebook reader since it’s lighter and feels nicer in the hand than my iPhone does.

I recently bought a second hand 1st gen iPod Touch and have been pleasantly surprised by it as well - it’s fantastic as a local music player. The sound quality is the best out of any iPod Touch I’ve used, and with the wifi turned off I can easily get a week of battery life out of it.

326BF499-AA9C-480B-B952-4534838DF406.jpeg

Reactions: Slix

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Which gen had the best battery life ?
I'd say the 5th generation.

---

I was/am a huge fan of the iPod touch. A small hand-held music device and while people do love the iPod classic, a touch interface with some really awesome iOS apps makes a superior music player in my opinion.

The only reason I sold both my 7th generation iPods was because of battery life. While the 7th generation was slightly better than the 6th generation a music player is NOT my primary device. I don't want to have to think about the battery every time I use it and the iPod touch would lose 25% of it's battery just streaming internet radio for 1.5 hours. The standby time was also meh and the biggest issue is that battery life only declines with time and it's already starting from a really subpart place.

An iPod classic modded with a 3,000 Mah battery gets instant battery life in both usage and standby (months). I never once think about the battery. When it's naturally time for me to sync it with my Mac it gets charged up and then I just use it until that time again.

Reactions: lostPod and sracer

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I found the battery gauge on the IPT 6G runs bizarrely.

It can drop precipitously, then lags, gets down below 20% and then to 12-13% where it will stay a while before shutting down completely — without ever getting lower!

I also found that a reboot resets the gauge, so what seemed to be only 40% left becomes 65%!

Several people recommended charging it well after it reaches 100%. That does seem to give longer battery life afterwards.

Others recommend — every now and then — running it down to the 12-13% and keep using it until it shuts down completely. Then, giving it a long charge we’ll past 100%. Supposed to recalibrate the gauge and give longer run times. Sometimes, it even seems to!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.