Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mc'lovin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2024
Hello everyone,

I am mainly a desktop user, currently using the base model of the M2 Mac Studio for my needs (photo editing in Lightroom and Photoshop, and I recently started doing video editing in Final Cut Pro), and am thinking of adding a MacBook for these tasks when on the go.
While I am an "enthusiast" and do not rely on computer performance for my (totally different) profession, it is important for me to enjoy an uninterrupted workflow.

Going over the different options (MacBook Pro vs Air, and also the differences between models in the same category) I'm trying to understand if the more expensive models will have any substantial advantage for me?
From what I could gather from reviews all over, I see that the main performance difference between the stronger and weaker models is present when exporting images or rendering videos. This does not really concern me as I usually don't work with thousands of photos or heavily edited videos, and I don't have any rush to have the final product ASAP.

What I am concerned about as previously mentioned, is to have a seamless editing experience until the phase where I need to export the file.
Can anyone share from their knowledge and experience if for my needs which I stated, there will be any noticeable difference between a MacBook Air and a MacBook Pro? I am aiming at getting a 15'' m3 MacBook Air with 24gb RAM.

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.