Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmfresco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
Ann Arbor
The MacOS and iOS weather app, after cannibalizing Dark Sky, is shockingly inaccurate with our forecast. Here in Michigan, we had a bad ice storm last week. Instead of predicting ice, the Apple Weather app predicted something like 21 inches of snow. The Apple generated forecast was also discrepant with the National Weather Service storm warning that was issued, that was much more predictive of what transpired.

We have another weather event scheduled for Friday. Most other services are predicting a mix of snow and rain. Apple is predicting 13 inches of wintry mix.

What gives? The Apple Weather app before gobbling up Dark Sky was accurate. Dark Sky was awesome and now is supposedly embedded in the new Weather app, but they are grossly misrepresenting precipitation expected amounts. I really dislike the weather channel app, but I don't feel I can trust Apple's Weather app. How can we prevail on Apple to fix this serious flaw?

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
A week ago we had a storm roll through that was entirely rain and Apple predicted 20" of snow. We got 0". It was an inch of rain.
Two days ago it predicts another dumping. What'd we get? Half inch of rain.
Friday we have one coming in that is going to be mostly rain again and here Apple weather is predicting 8" of snow?

It's just absolutely awful at precipitation projections. What's even the point if you're gonna be that far off? My group chat has been mocking the forecast every couple days. It's way off every other forecast and always wrong.

Reactions: dmfresco

dmfresco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
Ann Arbor
Here is the NWS statement from the MacOS Weather app and the expected accumulation forecasted by Apple Weather. Progress? It's only discrepant by ~50%.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 7.06.09 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 7.06.09 AM.png
    286 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 7.07.07 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 7.07.07 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 116

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
A week ago we had a storm roll through that was entirely rain and Apple predicted 20" of snow. We got 0". It was an inch of rain.
Two days ago it predicts another dumping. What'd we get? Half inch of rain.
Friday we have one coming in that is going to be mostly rain again and here Apple weather is predicting 8" of snow?

It's just absolutely awful at precipitation projections. What's even the point if you're gonna be that far off? My group chat has been mocking the forecast every couple days. It's way off every other forecast and always wrong.

That’s what happens when they buy the worst weather app just because it was popular with nerds.

Reactions: orionquest

yellowroom

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
UK
I loved Dark Sky as I found it extremely accurate for predicting the weather in the next hour. In particular the precipitation, down to the minute on when it would start to rain. Very useful when out and about here in the UK.

The new Apple weather app is an abomination and the radar screen (when it’s working) has a weird blip in that it shows the radar for the past, and as soon as it reaches “now” and starts showing predicted precipitation, the clouds always move north north east. I’m watching weather coming at me from the east (or whatever direction) and they abruptly change direction. Utterly ridiculous.

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I use Windy as it allows you to select the European ECWMF weather modeling system that is recognized by meteorologists as being far more accurate than models used in the states. Rainfall and rain prediction from 7-10 days out are accurate, although it’s a little aggressive on temperature (shows colder than than actual).

Vitruvian Male

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2023
The MacOS and iOS weather app, after cannibalizing Dark Sky, is shockingly inaccurate with our forecast. Here in Michigan, we had a bad ice storm last week. Instead of predicting ice, the Apple Weather app predicted something like 21 inches of snow. The Apple generated forecast was also discrepant with the National Weather Service storm warning that was issued, that was much more predictive of what transpired.

We have another weather event scheduled for Friday. Most other services are predicting a mix of snow and rain. Apple is predicting 13 inches of wintry mix.

What gives? The Apple Weather app before gobbling up Dark Sky was accurate. Dark Sky was awesome and now is supposedly embedded in the new Weather app, but they are grossly misrepresenting precipitation expected amounts. I really dislike the weather channel app, but I don't feel I can trust Apple's Weather app. How can we prevail on Apple to fix this serious flaw?
I find the iOS Weather app is horrible. Living in South Florida, and having been one of the initial users of Dark Sky, the extended weather forecasting capability was incredibly accurate and useful, especially during hurricane season. The iOS weather app only provides a maximum of 12 hour forecasting and the interface is sketchy, not providing a consistent representation of weather movements. Dark Sky was very functional, Apple is becoming like IBM where good software went to die.

The iOS developers need to wake up and smell the coffee, because frankly the iOS Weather app stinks!

Reactions: Shazaam!

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
I wonder if this is country specific?

Here in the UK it is much better than before. It’s very accurate and my Apple watch notifications of rain stopping / starting in ‘x’ minutes is useful when it’s time to walk the dog.

I never use any other weather service now. Before the new app came out, it used to be awful.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
I wonder if this is country specific?

Here in the UK it is much better than before. It’s very accurate and my Apple watch notifications of rain stopping / starting in ‘x’ minutes is useful when it’s time to walk the dog.

I never use any other weather service now. Before the new app came out, it used to be awful.
I came in here to say this.

I'm in the UK and have been using Apple Weather for a week or so after noticing that Hello Weather using Apple's data.

I have found it to be extremely accurate. Rain fall in X minutes is almost pin point accurate

Reactions: Moakesy

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
My Apple Watch and iPhone are not in agreement about the weather. For the record it was a beautiful day today, no storms around.
incoming-FA184A27-393F-40C8-BA2F-8EC0FBB3B6AE.jpeg
IMG_4263.jpeg

TheGeneralist

macrumors regular
May 1, 2020
For me it's quite simple (Midwest Germany):
Some years ago Apple Weather was plainly the best mobile weather service you could get - spot-on most of the time.
Then they changed weather providers, and now it is mostly so wrong that it's better not to use it at all - despite its really nicely designed UI and all, it is - and remains - just completely useless.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
For me it's quite simple (Midwest Germany):
Some years ago Apple Weather was plainly the best mobile weather service you could get - spot-on most of the time.
Then they changed weather providers, and now it is mostly so wrong that it's better not to use it at all - despite its really nicely designed UI and all, it is - and remains - just completely useless.
It's been fine in my area until just recently. Something must have happened/changed?

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I’ve been enjoying these forecasts lately. When it’s going to get hot Apple thinks it’s going to get reallllly hot. I’m in the Chicago suburbs.
IMG_5090.jpeg

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I'm pretty sure Weather connects through the Weather Channel's info. Which can be wildly different than the US Weather Service at times.

Just 2 weeks ago, Weather Channel/Apple said we would be getting trace amounts of rain overnight, we got a massive thunderstorm.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Apple Weather has been so bad, my wife and I went back to Carrot Weather. So nice using something accurate again. Just to clarify, you can choose your data source with Carrot Weather.

Use https://forecastadvisor.com/ to find out what weather forecast company is the most accurate for your area. For us it is Foreca. So we use Carrot Weather and have Foreca as the data source.

Been so much better. Sure it costs a little but... imo worth it.

I think too, based on my own observations and opinion - seems like weather has been a lot more variable than normal. Still, you'd think with all the computing power we have today, this wouldn't come as a surprise to us.

1693233027084.jpeg

Carrot data sources ^

Last edited:

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Apple Weather has been so bad, my wife and I went back to Carrot Weather. So nice using something accurate again. Just to clarify, you can choose your data source with Carrot Weather.

Use https://forecastadvisor.com/ to find out what weather forecast company is the most accurate for your area. For us it is Foreca. So we use Carrot Weather and have Foreca as the data source.

Been so much better. Sure it costs a little but... imo worth it.

I think too, based on my own observations and opinion - seems like weather has been a lot more variable than normal. Still, you'd think with all the computing power we have today, this wouldn't come as a surprise to us.

View attachment 2251719
Carrot data sources ^
I started using the free version of Carrot a month or two ago. Foreca is a private Finnish company and located only a couple of kilometers from my home. The forecasting has been very accurate and very helpful as we have had a lot of off and on rain lately. It is proving to be more accurate than the Finnish national weather service. I am a happy convert.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.