Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
So I bought an iPhone 4 back in March as I managed to snag a contract-free one for a good price. Anyways it was a sealed in-box one, and immediately after opening it, I peeled off the protective film and put on the Incase Slider case (Black matte version).

Now mind you, I've loved Incase for their attention to design and simplicity for a long time, but I've just about had it. I've tried to take the case off, and I simply cannot. I know the rubber stripes on the inside of the case add for some sturdy friction, but this is just plain ridiculous. I've tried everything from warming it up slightly (not enough to damage internals), used a jar opener (those plastic cloths), pushing down on the phone from the only accesible parts of the top (headphone jack area and sleep botton), and trying to pry open the top of the case to widen the sides in an attempt to reduce friction.

All my attempts = no success. The top part of the case wouldn't even budge. Literally. (Of course i got the bottom part off without any difficulties).

Now before anything stupid happens to it, I reckon it's probably best for me to seek some professional assistance. I'm not sure if the folks at the Genius Bar would try and help, as it's a third party accessory and you never know if they'll end up damaging it accidentally. I could always claim some sort of warranty from Incase, but no way I'm sending over my entire phone intact with the case over to California.

So I'm not really sure what's the best action I should take....if I should keep on trying some methods myself or refer to someone else.

Btw, reasons for my need to take of the case include a desire to get some dust out of the case in between the phone and poking out from the exposed parts, removing my sim card to test in another phone, and what not....

I also want to put it into a sports armband for when I go to the gym, but to do so I need to remove it from the case.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Last edited:

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
This happened to me before, but it was with my old 3GS. Take the bottom part off and then try pulling the sides away from the device (Making sure your vibrate switch doesn't get caught) and have another person slowly try and pull the device out. Keep trying this process. It should eventually work.

I used a bit or force when I did it, but at the start just go gentle. Wouldn't want to damage the device.

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
This happened to me before, but it was with my old 3GS. Take the bottom part off and then try pulling the sides away from the device (Making sure your vibrate switch doesn't get caught) and have another person slowly try and pull the device out. Keep trying this process. It should eventually work.

I used a bit or force when I did it, but at the start just go gentle. Wouldn't want to damage the device.

Tried that. I think at this point it may be looking at me cracking off the case, and getting a new one via warranty from Incase.

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
This is the problem with the iPhone slider cases, especially if you use a screen protector. I've had the same issue with my 3GS. It was a two-person affair to pry it open. PITA.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
Tried that. I think at this point it may be looking at me cracking off the case, and getting a new one via warranty from Incase.

You should email them first and explain the problem. I'm sure they will agree to send you a new one. This is why you're always suppose to take your case off at least once a week. :p

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
You should email them first and explain the problem. I'm sure they will agree to send you a new one. This is why you're always suppose to take your case off at least once a week. :p

Funny thing is the phone and case is just under 2 weeks old, and i've been trying to get it off since a couple days after i slipped it on. thanks for the tip though.

Last edited:

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I damaged my 3GS by pushing on the headphone jack. Be Careful. I would try some strong packing tape to get a good grip on the bottom, and even packing tape on the back of the top piece. That way you wouldn't be squeezing the case and making it tighter. You should be be able to pull it apart that way. ;)

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
Funny thing is the phone and case is just under 2 weeks old, and i've been trying to get it off sine a couple days after i slipped it on. thanks for the tip though.

Wow really? Only two weeks? I thought it was on for months... That's really strange. Did you have a screen shield or a skin on the back of the device?

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
Wow really? Only two weeks? I thought it was on for months... That's really strange. Did you have a screen shield or a skin on the back of the device?

nope. nada. nil.

I think that packing tape ideas sounds good. I haven't tried that yet and may try that tomorrow. Not quite sure thought about the best way that I should wrap the tape around the phone/case...?

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
OP, my phones case did this too. I actually broke my nail trying to get it off. I ended up cracking the case in half and finally getting it off. Guess what. It was an incase too haha.

jwingfie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2008
Athens, GA
I had this problem once with the slider case on my old iPod Touch, but I have never had an issue getting my slider off my iPhone 4. I can easily get it off by pulling from the band where the two breaks in the antenna are.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Push instead of pull. Take bottom off case off. Moisten thumbs and push on screen and slide from top to bottom out of case. It will slide out. Do it a few times and it will come out easier everytime. Always push iphone out of case. Never pull.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I-cant-believe-its-not-butter-sprad-15oz.jpeg

Get to work, OP

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
That's weird, I tried Incase Slider on the iPhone 4 and the bottom part was loose(er), the case squeaked and it lifted the screenshield... annoying.

ZombieZakk

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
for some reason some incase sliders fit differently i have a black that fits perfect snug but can come off i bought a white one that wouldnt come off for anything.

two methods i have used that work:
1)remove the bottom->the squeeze the case sides to alleviate pressure and gently work the case out.

2)remove bottom-> take the bottom and use a corner(or some other small plastic object i have case opening tools from my blackberry days that work great) at the headphone jack opening push in gently!!!! on the side of the headphone opening opposite the mic. this has been sure fire for me but be careful as you can damage the device.

Disclaimer: this can damage your device and i take no responsibility for any damage done to the device, i have done this on 5 different phone already and have not damaged a single one always be careful.

Rule of thumb: if it feels too tight then dont try it! :D

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
i would carefully cut the case off.

funny because i have used a white incase slider with front and back protectors and while it was tight it always seemed to come off ok.

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
two methods i have used that work:
1)remove the bottom->the squeeze the case sides to alleviate pressure and gently work the case out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why would I want to squeeze the sides of the case, wouldn't that just make it tighter?

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
Guys, I found the solution and surprisingly, it's none of what you suggested (but thanks anyway!)

I called up Incase support, and they were extremely helpful. I spoke to Gonzo (i think) and after he listed off some of the stuff that you guys said, he finally suggested using a latex glove to take it off (to get a good yet safe grip on the phone/case). I used a dishwashing glove to be precise, and after one big tug, it finally came off.

THE DISHWASHING GLOVE IS KEY. Worked like a charm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.