Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmeray

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
1) Ok, i hear so much about the incase slider being up there in the top 2% of recommended cases. Yet i also hear it scratches the bezel all up. Why so recommended if it scratches the bezel? (Could it be that all cases do this, even SPECK, etc?)

2) I've read lots about Power Support AntiGlare & Crystal screen protectors. Which one is best from people with experience?

Please dont mention invisible shield, or ghost armor, or bodyguardz, unless you are going to also state a case that will fit OVER the face shield of those. :) I DO want a case, was leaning towards INCASE SLIDER or SPECK candyshell.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
1) Ok, i hear so much about the incase slider being up there in the top 2% of recommended cases. Yet i also hear it scratches the bezel all up. Why so recommended if it scratches the bezel? (Could it be that all cases do this, even SPECK, etc?)

2) I've read lots about Power Support AntiGlare & Crystal screen protectors. Which one is best from people with experience?

Please dont mention invisible shield, or ghost armor, or bodyguardz, unless you are going to also state a case that will fit OVER the face shield of those. :) I DO want a case, was leaning towards INCASE SLIDER or SPECK candyshell.

All hard cases do it. They all scratch the bezel or body. Only the NEO and so far the iSkin Solo series are doing their job and not actually damaging the product its suppose to protect.

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
people recommend incase slider because it usually offers one of the fewest problems commonly known in hard cases, in a very nice looking case. It's just that people are willing to deal with their bezels scratching but that's usually one of very few problems with the slider in comparison to other hard cases.

and honestly, between crystal and AG, you have to experience both to know which you would prefer. Crystal: more clarity and basically unnoticeable on the display but a helluva lot more fingerprints as if you were just using without a screen protector. AG: less clarity to some extent (which you're gonna have to judge yourself since people's standards of clarity differ on this forum), but superb in masking fingerprints/smudges, with a smoother texter which resembles the feel of running your fingers across a scotch tape.

hope this helps

jmeray

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Thank you both for the reply.

daonesteven...it does help. I'm wondering with the new Oleophobic screen of the 3GS, if a screen protector could actually HARM it. Meaning, if you go to take it off later, will the OLE be damaged? I'd love to see the specs on the screen and the do's & donts in the manual.

Sounds like the AG works for people, cuts down glare, provides that sleekness, but at some clarity cost. Crystal, to me, sounds like we are pretty much taking the OLEO screen and completely removing the benefits that offers. Still, both have their advantages with Crystal having better clarity.

hmmmm. the problem is, i dont know how i'll ever see them both in action to compare prior to me needing them on my 3GS when it arrives. :)

Shaan

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
I would recommend this to you, but make sure you get it in black and not in the clear.

The case comes with (1) Power Support Crystal Screen Shield, and (1) Power Support Anti-Glare Screen Shield.

The case is fairly minimal but the clear version of it scratches a lot and looks unattractive after a few days, so definitely go with the black.

Hope I helped!

jmeray

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Shaan... hey, everything helps.
I read about that one. I see people dont love the fact that the corners peel/scratch off but it does seem like a real nice case otherwise.
It comes with both screen protectors i'm interested in.
I will put it on my list of those to ck out today at the apple store.
tks!

Versus

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2009
I was wondering this also. Couldn't you just put a screen protector on the back of the iPhone before putting it into a Slider in order to prevent these scratches? I realized that won't save the bevel, but it would help the back some, no?

Also, I read a few reviews saying that the Griffin Clarifi did not cause scratches, so that's an option. Of course, there's probably a hundred reviews pointing out that it does...

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
the inner rubber guardrails on the slider make it so that it's impossible to apply some type of skin on the back of the iphone and still have it slide in. only the smooth plastic back surface of the actual phone can deal with that rubber sliding against it.

Versus

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2009
Oh well, that sucks. Thanks for heads up, though.

I have been researching cases ALL week and there aren't any that scream perfect for me. Too many Slider comments claiming they cause more scratches than they prevent, too many Switcheasys with saggy bottoms, and far too many Airjackets with quality issues. Then there's bezel scratching, screen protector bubbling, and a variety of other faults across the board. When I find something I think looks cool, it gets poor reviews and I when I find something that seems solid, it looks like total crap.

Honestly, if Speck Candy Shell actually came in a color I wouldn't be embarrassed carrying around, the decision would have been made days ago. As it is, I got nothin'...

Chicagogirlie

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Incase Slider

I've used a small piece of wrapping tissue paper and it's protected the back side of my ipod touch from scratches. I plan to do the same with my 3g s.

jmeray

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Honestly, if Speck Candy Shell actually came in a color I wouldn't be embarrassed carrying around, the decision would have been made days ago. As it is, I got nothin'...

I hate to bust your bubble on the candy shell speck. However, i heard rumors that the colored rubber parts can get easily discolored by jeans, etc. (Now, i dont know if those people just never washed their new jeans before wearing them, but it may be something to consider).

I myself, already purchased the incase slider & candy shell speck.
I purchased the CSS because of the slider information i got in the forums of scratching. I have not returned it yet, but i will be. Got it from Target, so its easy to return.

Of all the ones i have reviewed, the CSS seems the best for me. I also have heard good things about the COUNTOUR SHOWCASE but i'm sure someone has something bad to say about it too. :)

tyranical

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
I hate to bust your bubble on the candy shell speck. However, i heard rumors that the colored rubber parts can get easily discolored by jeans, etc. (Now, i dont know if those people just never washed their new jeans before wearing them, but it may be something to consider).

I myself, already purchased the incase slider & candy shell speck.
I purchased the CSS because of the slider information i got in the forums of scratching. I have not returned it yet, but i will be. Got it from Target, so its easy to return.

Of all the ones i have reviewed, the CSS seems the best for me. I also have heard good things about the COUNTOUR SHOWCASE but i'm sure someone has something bad to say about it too. :)

Sorry but, who cares if the rubbers discolours, I couldn't care if it turned poo brown as long as it protects my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.