Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike2874

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
Harper, KS
I have an iPhone 15 Pro running IOS 17.2.1 and for maybe a month or two I’ve had issues with incoming calls. This is relatively new since never had this issue before. This issue happens for every second or third incoming call I get but not for every call… and it happens with different callers. The random issue I’m talking about is an incoming call will ring once and then wait for me to answer the call instead of it ringing until you answer the call or goes to voicemail.

What do you make of this?

mike2874

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
Harper, KS
Can it really be a SIM / carrier issue when this is a relatively new thing and until recently never has been a problem?

idgsd

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2018
California
Happened to me recently, iphone 15 pro on AT&T, couldn‘t make or receive calls. Data was ok, could browse and received WhatsApp call when my wife couldn’t reach me on regular calls (went straight to VM). Turned off/on it started working but happened again a couple of days later. Same happened to my wife a few days latter on her 15 pro (AT&T). Rebooted both phones and reset Carrier settings, hasn’t happened since (yet….).

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
I've experienced a similar thing to mike2874. Call rings, I pull the phone (iPhone 14 Pro, also on AT&T) out of my pocket and find the ringer is now silenced, but I can see the call ringing animation on the phone display and can successfully answer the call. Has been happening sporadically on multiple versions of iOS 17.

Under Accessibility->Face ID & Attention, do you have "Attention Aware Features" turned on? With this feature on, the phone is supposed to lower the volume of alerts (including the ringer) when the phone becomes aware that you are looking at it. Before reading this post, I was thinking that the ringer went mute after looking at the phone rather than after one ring, but I'm not certain.

Oh, and finally, I've observed that the problem happens most frequently when I'm in my home office where the phone call also triggers the ringers (make calls on other devices option is on) on my iPad and Macbook Pro. The ringers on the other devices also stop when the one on the phone does.

Branman11

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2014
I have this identical issue. I have an apple genius appointment today to hopefully get a new phone. Fingerscrossed it happens while I’m at the store. I’ve erased my phone completely 3 times, restarted countless times. Reset network settings many times with no luck. I’m sick of this issue. Just kinda bummed if they do replace it won’t be a brand new phone. Oh well I need a phone that can take calls.

Branman11

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2014
Unfortunately I was sent on my way with no fix. They ran some diagnostics and said my phone was fine and of course the issue didn’t happen while at the store. They told me to call Verizon and tell them it’s there issue. The lady said to call apple support because unless the diagnostics comes back with an issue they won’t replace it no matter what. Apple support I guess has the capability to replace the phone unlike the store. No clue why that matters it’s all Apple. Anyhow just wanted to give an update. If anyone else has this issue or figured out a fix please comment as this is extremely annoying issue to deal with. I just got a work iPhone so at least I’m not missing calls at work anymore. Still very annoying that my iPhone can’t handle the basics of being a phone at the moment. Sorry for the rant.

mike2874

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
Harper, KS
Since this appears to be happening with both 14 & 15 Pro phones maybe more (Branman11?) and Verizon & AT&T all using IOS 17... I'm on 17.2.1. How can this not be an IOS 17 issue but who's going to listen to us?

I chatted with Verizon the other day and all he did was refresh my network and had me reboot my phone. Then he confidently said the issue was fixed but I knew better! I maybe had 3 or 4 incoming calls ring normally but then it reverted to randomly ringing only once. I have "Attention Aware Features" disabled. This started for me maybe a month or two ago.

This really is a nuisance because if you have your phone in your pocket you might not hear just one ring. Very frustrating I agree with apparently no fix!

AaronParan

Suspended
Jan 16, 2024
New York
Same issue with both Verizon and AT&T where they call and it goes to VM automatically. Be careful you have Focus set up, my mom set a Focus for Work hours and forgot to add people to her allowed list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.