Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aggie88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Omaha
I have a iphone pro max 13. My wife has a iphone pro max 12. When she or my daughter (also an iphone) call me, I can't hear them and they can't hear me. When I call them everything is okay. When I use a landline to call my line it works fine. I've tried resetting all my settings to default values. I've turned off bluetooth (hearing aids) and tried using speakerphone. Call routing is set to automatic. Nothing has worked for incoming calls from the few iphones who have tried.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can try? Thanks.

joggy

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Such a timely post. My in-laws, wife, and I spent several hours yesterday working through this exact issue which seemingly recently started for us. There are four iPhones involved (two 15 Pros, one 13 and one 2nd gen SE) and with two of them calling two others, we have the same problem - i.e., calls initiated on two of the phones to the other two phones would exhibit this behavior. Calls initiated on those other two phones to those other two phones would not exhibit this behavior - calls were normal.

Also all other calls on all four phones seem normal to the best of our knowledge.

For us this problem only seems to happen on Wi-Fi for us since turning Wi-Fi off allows all phones to function as they should (T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling on all four phones).

We tried reboots, resets of network settings, and taking any available updates for the phones, and what seems to have (possibly) fixed it is reboots of two routers involved in the mix for two different Wi-Fi SSIDs.

I’m not fully confident that we've seen the end of this problem yet, but I am hopeful anyway, fingers crossed.

If Wi-Fi calling is involved in the mix, give a reboot of the router a try.

Aggie88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Omaha
I have Wi-Fi calls turned on (also on T-Mobile). I'll try rebooting my router first. Thanks.

Aggie88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Omaha
It appears that my problem is Wi-Fi related but it is strange. I have Wi-Fi calling turned off and also restarted my phone. I had things set up not to use a private IP address on my home network. If I let it get a private IP address or if I turn Wi-Fi off then things work. I'm not sure why a private IP would make a difference since I have Wi-Fi calling off. I tried it multiple times and with a private IP it works. Turn off private IP and it doesn't work at home.

HPad

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2019
You mean private mac? Anything connected to your router MUST have a private IP. Your ISP only hands out generally 1 or 2 MAX public IP's unless your business and have a need.

Does your ISP give out a public IP or CGNAT? CGNAT can and will cause issues with WiFi Calling. On your router page do you see if gives you a 100.xxx.xxx.xxx IP in the wan section?

Aggie88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Omaha
My mistake, I meant a private MAC. My IP address on the WAN side is in the 72 block. I do have Wi-Fi calling turned off. It didn't make a difference to my problem. I only remedy the problem with Wi-Fi turned off or using a private MAC address. Using the original MAC (non-private) seems to cause the problem. Thanks!

Aggie88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Omaha
I've been experimenting and it appears that the T-Mobile Scam Shield app may be causing the problem. I closed the app and my phone appears to be working no matter which way the private mac address is set. I'll remove the app totally and then download it again as another experiment. I'll wait until after the new IOS comes out this week and play some more.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
This is an interesting thread for me as well. I have a iPhone 15 PM on T-mobile I use WiFi Calling @ home and when a iPhone SE 2020 calls me the call rings and connects and we cannot hear each other I can end that call and call her back and the call then works.

I was hoping that iOS 17.3 would fix but no joy.

I just deleted my T-mobile scam shield and will see if this helps out.

hmmm

Aggie88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Omaha
Please post your results back. It will be interesting to see if this is the cause for both of us.

Aggie88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Omaha
Thanks for the feedback! I was a little bit surprised when worked for me. One of these days Ill try to download the app again and see what happens.

• Love
Reactions: ZebraDude
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.