Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I've got an iPhone 4S with iOS 5 and I have zero plans to upgrade either the phone or the OS in the foreseeable future. However, when I checked this evening, iTunes showed that I had 31 apps with updates pending (obviously due to the release of iOS 6). I went ahead and downloaded them before syncing my iPhone for the night. Three of the updates would not install because they aren't compatible with IOS 5. Those three apps are all from Apple: Cards, iMovie, iPhoto

They simply weren't installed. The previous versions remained on my iPhone. HOWEVER, this could be a problem for me down the road it something were to happen to my iPhone and I had to purchase a replacement 4S. Without the older, iOS 5-compatible versions of those apps, I wouldn't be able to rebuild the replacement iPhone with those apps under iOS 5. It would force me to upgrade to iOS 6.

To help prevent this from becoming a possibility, I went to yesterday's back up of my drive in Time Machine and copied the three older Apple app .ipa files to a folder on my boot drive (and made another backup elsewhere). Over time, those older iOS 5-compatible versions would disappear from the Time Machine drive. It could be a year or more before I get a new iPhone or upgrade to iOS 6.

For the record, the last iOS 5-compatible versions are:

Cards 1.1.2
iMovie 131
iPhoto 1.0.1

The current new, iOS 6-compatible versions are:

Cards 2.0
iMovie 140
iPhoto 1.1

Unfortunately, every time I sync my iPhone to iTunes from this point on, I'll get a warning that these apps aren't copied over. The warning box has a check mark where I can tell it not to warn me anymore, but I don't want to turn that off so that I'll know about any other apps that cause the problem in the future (so, again, I can make backup copies).

If, like me, you plan to stick with iOS 5 for the foreseeable future, you might want to be careful which app updates you download and/or make backups of the iOS 5-compatible versions.

Mark

----------

P.S. All of this hassle simply because Apple's Maps app sucks so bad. :mad:

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
For the record, the last iOS 5-compatible versions are:

Cards 1.1.2
iMovie 131
iPhoto 1.0.1

The current new, iOS 6-compatible versions are:

Cards 2.0
iMovie 140
iPhoto 1.1

Thank you for this. I'm going to go make sure I have my iOS 5.x stuff saved somewhere.

Creat

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Out of curiosity, how do you backup the .ipa files for the applications on a PC? I have a third gen iPod, and want to backup the actual files of specific applications that now require iOS 6, just in case if my device malfunctions and I need to reinstall it, that I am not restricted to the incompatible app error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.