Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ondsari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2020
I held down the "touch id" button for about 4-5 seconds. then I gave up the "force shutdown" procedure. macbook did not close. nothing happened. Do you think there are any problems came with "fore shutdown procedure" on my device right now? Does "force shutdown" start the moment we press the button or does it start when the screen goes dark?

thx for advance.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
I held down the "touch id" button for about 4-5 seconds. then I gave up the "force shutdown" procedure. macbook did not close. nothing happened. Do you think there are any problems came with "fore shutdown procedure" on my device right now? Does "force shutdown" start the moment we press the button or does it start when the screen goes dark?

thx for advance.

when you need to force a shutdown on a MacBook Air with the T2 chip, if there are apps that are hung, or otherwise apps that need time to shut down, after your screen goes dark you will usually be able to see in the middle lower part of yr screen a very faint busy wheel going round and round while it is working to try to neatly close these apps.
the time that may be required varies according to what went wrong in the first place, but from experience it can easily take up to a minute or longer on a MacBook Air, but also can be quick, maybe around 10 seconds.
however, if the ambient room light level is bright, its very difficult to even notice the busy wheel, as its not bright at all. after you notice it one time, its easier to spot next time.

ondsari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2020
I did not need force shutdown, I just wanted to try it, I had never done it before. I pressed the button for about 4-5 seconds, then gave up. forced shutdown did not start. but I want to know, nothing happened or forced shutdown procedure started and then stopped?

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I would say that you have nothing to be concerned about. If the screen did not go dark then no forced shutdown was initiated, and you can continue using your laptop normally.

Reactions: ondsari
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.