Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Is their anyway to increase iCloud Photo Library Download? I'm trying to download my entire iCloud photo library but its doing it painfully slow. I have a 1 gig connection and the last hour its only have download 2.3 gigs... Is their any settings/terminal command to increase iCloud download speeds?

jgrove

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2006
Is their anyway to increase iCloud Photo Library Download? I'm trying to download my entire iCloud photo library but its doing it painfully slow. I have a 1 gig connection and the last hour its only have download 2.3 gigs... Is their any settings/terminal command to increase iCloud download speeds?

The connection speed is dictated by the server, which has to balance the load out. I would guess that Apple have a fixed max speed so that doesn’t disrupt other connections.

Reactions: chabig

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Had the same question. Searched to no avail, doesn't seem possible—doesn't seem like Apple gives users the authority to prioritize specific application connections. :\

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Apple's "speeds" as it relates to iCloud are always incredibly and bizarrely slow. It's not like sometimes its fast and other times slow....it is always painfully slow, to the point where it can make you think its not working, and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Apple thinks they're doing someone a favor by making it so slow.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
I'm trying to download my photos from iCloud so I can clean up and continue using the 50 GB option since I have 35 GB photos there. I thought I'd download it to my pc and put two copies of the library on two different drives.

It is so sloooow. I'm hitting 250 KB/s.. should be able to download at around 15 MB/s..

mrbloom

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2020
I thought I would try out iCloud Drive and consider switching away from my paid dropbox. But wow iCloud is an order of magnitude slower than Dropbox for me. I am also seeing speeds around 200 KB/s. This is on a 30MB/s internet connection.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
As stated Apple servers are painfully slow. Apple would probably have to spend a small fortune to upgrade their servers. Don't quote on that though. This is why I use them for the bare minimum.

buckelij

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2020
I found that the photos processes were set to a low priority and changing the priority with `renice` significantly sped up a bulk download. In Terminal I ran the following to change the priority of the photo processes:

Code:
for p in $(ps -ec -o pid -o command |grep -i photo |awk '{print $1}'); do  sudo renice -n -1 -p $p; done

Reactions: oregondean

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I found that the photos processes were set to a low priority and changing the priority with `renice` significantly sped up a bulk download. In Terminal I ran the following to change the priority of the photo processes:

Code:
for p in $(ps -ec -o pid -o command |grep -i photo |awk '{print $1}'); do  sudo renice -n -1 -p $p; done
I don't know what magic this is but it seems to have worked. Took 12+ hours to download 9GB. Took just 3 more hours to download the next 7GB (not sure if its maximizing the speed of my connection but it seems like a heck of an improvement). Thanks!

mindquest

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009

Code:
Where you on Catalina when you did this?

diegoprincecr

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2022
I don't know what magic this is but it seems to have worked. Took 12+ hours to download 9GB. Took just 3 more hours to download the next 7GB (not sure if its maximizing the speed of my connection but it seems like a heck of an improvement). Thanks!
PLEASEEEEEEE HELP ME, I have the same problem. Can you please tell me how I can insert this command? ??
I don't know how to do it.

diegoprincecr

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2022

Code:
PLEASEEEEEEE HELP ME, I have the same problem. Can you please tell me how I can insert this command? ??
I don't know how to do it.?? ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.