Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drcpub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
Hi, a while back, not sure I remember which OS it was, I found a terminal command that allowed to display a larger listing in the save as and open dialog boxes. Example is going to save a file and when choosing the the drop down that displayed previously opened or saved locations, that list was always about 5, the command could type in any number you want. I chose 10 and every time I went to save a larger listing was shown. It was really a recently saved locations list. It helps when needing to save to many locations. If anyone knows of this terminal command, please share with me.
Many thanks

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
defaults write -g NSNavRecentPlacesLimit -int 10 is probably the terminal command you’re looking for. Not sure wether this still works on the latest releases of macOS.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

alanglasser

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2023
This doesn't seem to work for Preview, which lost the "Recent Places" list in the "Where:" dropdown in, I believe, Monterey. Any ideas about why Apple would have removed this feature from Preview?

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
This doesn't seem to work for Preview, which lost the "Recent Places" list in the "Where:" dropdown in, I believe, Monterey. Any ideas about why Apple would have removed this feature from Preview?
Like I mentioned earlier, I can only recommend Default Folder:

It's one of those utilities that, in my view, every Mac user should have installed.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012

P.S. It does work for me in Preview on both Ventura and Sonoma.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Can also be configured from OnyX or Deeper
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/index.html
onyx.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.