Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Despite some significant hurdles that saw the U.S. Apple Online store remaining down until almost 3 AM Pacific Time and issues with ordering in the Apple Store app, it appears that Apple has set a new record for iPhone orders with last night's iPhone 6 and 6 Plus pre-orders.

An Apple representative who spoke to Re/code mentioned that a new record had been set, but did not comment on the number of devices that were sold.
An Apple representative said that the overnight sales of the new iPhones set a record, though Apple did not say how many have been sold.

"Response to iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus has been incredible with a record number of preorders overnight," Apple told Re/code.
Apple's statement follows a similar comment from AT&T executive Ralph de la Vega, who said "It's amazing to see the volume" in reference to iPhone 6 and 6 Plus orders. De la Vega went on to say that demand for the phones is "better" than last year and the year prior.

iphone_6_iphone_6_plus1.png
At the beginning of the pre-order period last night, users were having trouble getting devices ordered due to continual errors in the Apple Store app and issues with carrier websites. Apple's own online store didn't come up until after 2:45 AM Pacific Time, nearly three hours after pre-orders were available in the Apple Store.

Apple's iPhone 6 Plus was in short supply and shipping estimates slipped to 7 to 10 days for all models before the online store was even up, shortly after slipping further to 3 to 4 weeks. The company does, however, appear to have ample supply of the iPhone 6 as many models continue to be available for delivery on 9/19.

Prospective buyers iPhone 6 Plus buyers who missed preorders can still potentially pick up a device on September 19 by waiting in line at an Apple Store.

Article Link: 'Incredible' Response to iPhone 6 and 6 Plus as Apple Sets Overnight Pre-Order Sales Record

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can't say that I'm surprised, given the excitement over the iPhone 6 Plus

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I'm really surprised how much pent up demand there was for the Plus model. I thought most people would find it too cumbersome to use on a daily basis.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
Hopefully good for my Apple stock. I got my 128 GB iPhone 6 pre-ordered from AT&T (premier customer, renewed a 2 year contract) at around 8am ET with no hassle. I hear some other people had problems. ;) :D

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Does anyone know where i can preorder/buy an off contract 4.7"??? I only saw one for T-Mobile, and i want a CDMA one... Do they usually make that an option at some point? :(

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Buying experience in the UK was completely error free and the reservation link was enabled almost immediately. The store was down longer though.

I even went back in for seconds (for wife) on another apple ID

6+ here i come :cool: :apple:

the 6+ sold out within 30 mins in nearly every store in the UK but the 6 has been available in 90% of the combos nearly all day. I can only assume apple guessed there would be more demand for the 6 and it had x times number of units compared to 6+

got2go

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
I call *************.

The freaking website was down for the first 2 hours of pre orders.

Apple expects us to trust them with all our cloud data and credit cards but they can't even get their website up for their flagship product launch or stream the iPhone event.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I'm really surprised how much pent up demand there was for the Plus model. I thought most people would find it too cumbersome to use on a daily basis.

to be fair i believe the initial iPhone 6 Plus stock is also smaller compared to the regular 6

fortysomegeek

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
By my own observation, the Top-of-the-line 128GB Plus model sold out the quickest. I had the AppleStore App on my iPhone and the Space Grey was sold out at 12:30 AM. A couple of refreshes, mis-clicks, time-outs, the Silver went out later at 12:40. Then the Gold.

I was able to get one thru AT&T with a ship date of October 28.

They seriously under-estimated demand for the top-end model. Plenty of regular 6s and lower GB pluses.

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
didn't macrumors just post this article 30 minutes ago in a separate headline?

Shredliotti

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Could I get Opinions!

I attempted to preorder the 6plus this morning. I currently can complete my transaction through Apple within 24 hours or ATT (whenever their phones aren't ringing busy...)

Do I:
● Go with the ATT one that seemed to have gone through ~4a.m.EST
● Go with the Apple order that sent me an email @ 7:30 EST

I know the 6plus is way backordered but maybe the lot of everyone has some gut feelings!

Happy Pre-Order Day!:apple:

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I call *************.

The freaking website was down for the first 2 hours of pre orders.

Apple expects us to trust them with all our cloud data and credit cards but they can't even get their website up for their flagship product launch or stream the iPhone event.

Yes... It was down because there were so many people trying to order at the same time. Which equates to lots of sales when people DID get through. I was expecting to see this when I saw how much traffic there was last night.

cRizz

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2012
Time to buy the stocks back some jittery people selled after the keynote... same thing every year...

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Last year the total opening weekend sales of iPhone 5s's, and 5c's was 9 million.

I wonder how many Apple will sell next weekend.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
3am PST? I feel really bad for the people that stayed up to try and order through apple.

i'm glad I pre-ordered through verizon (what?!! verizon > apple?) that opened their pre-order promptly 10 minute early(!!).

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
to be fair i believe the initial iPhone 6 Plus stock is also smaller compared to the regular 6

That’s the trouble. Apple are really coy about sales figures to start. Also I’m pretty sure that they artificially restrict numbers to drive the hysteria.
I actually wonder how many of those sales are people buying more than they need to make sure they get the right one, (I was going to get both sizes in 64GB today), and people buying more to put on eBay, (again, I was going to get both sizes in 64GB today - wish I did actually).

Anyway, I’m sure they still sold very well indeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.