Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Any other long time users of inDesign frustrated at how they've changed all the keyboard shortcuts?
I'd used to be able to zoom in with simple space/command or change to hand using space bar.
It's all now a cluster**** requiring additional clicks and keystrokes. Even a simple Shift to constrain is not working.

Professionals rely on consistency to ensure optimal workflow. None of this ******** changing of standard commands.
Sorry for the rant.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Any other long time users of inDesign frustrated at how they've changed all the keyboard shortcuts?
I'd used to be able to zoom in with simple space/command or change to hand using space bar.
It's all now a cluster**** requiring additional clicks and keystrokes. Even a simple Shift to constrain is not working.

Professionals rely on consistency to ensure optimal workflow. None of this ******** changing of standard commands.
Sorry for the rant.
I'm not sure why you're experiencing these issues, but those keyboard shortcuts still work just fine in the latest ID 2020. If they're not working for you, then it's a problem with your install/preferences, not Adobe changing the shortcuts.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010

Sorry for the rant.
This is a common and annoyingly unpredictable bug across InDesign and Illustrator.

Close InDesign and all browsers. Open InDesign, check spacebar works for zoom/move. Open browsers.

Sometimes, if you open a browser _before_ InDesign, the browser captures the spacebar.

Your examples given only involve the spacebar, but you also say "all the keyboard shortcuts". Are there any others that have changed or stopped working?

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
They did the same thing back in the 1999-2000s when Creative Suite came out CS1, from the OS 9 apps. I lost my mind back then... I took so much effort memorizing them. At least you can change them but man!

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
Are you using inDesign for large print projects that need “stable binding”?

In my experience using illustrator for a few pages works a lot better than inDesign. That being said — I haven’t done multiple page print in a very long time...

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
You should give Affinity Publisher a try. I recently switched to Affinity Designer from Adobe Illustrator and I find the pen tool far superior.
Would love to use Publisher...and may experiment after my current book which should be about 250 pages when complete. However, e-books was the glaring oversight when Publisher was finally released and in the "future upgrade/version" promise. If assemble in Publisher, then have to re-assemble in another program. While I had InDesign, tried to avoid it and used QwarkXpress. Did fine setting up styles and text handling, even importing from Word, but being a photographer, it is graphic heavy and the have the most convoluted approach to anchor photos/graphics within fixed text flow (WYSIWYG) rather than free-floating and insertion point moves pages away as a result of edits. Gave up and went to InDesign.

Reactions: SigEp265

Black Baron

Suspended
Nov 8, 2020
Germany
I would love to sit in on some of the team meetings for the Adobe applications. Just to see their rational for silly changes.

"Okay.. we'll off kill Muse and make an ass version of Premiere. People will love it."

They have "invented" Adobe XD now for "rapid prototyping". After Adobe GoLive and Marcomedia Flash and Adobe Animator and Adobe Muse.

You must follow their rules as an artist and creatively minded. It's called "Software Subservience" nowadays.

Regards,

BLACK BARON
Design / Photo / Art / music

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
While I love the features of ID, PS and AI, it's been obvious over the last several years that Adobe has taken a scatter-pants approach to their apps, and it shows in stability and simple consistency among apps.

AI and ID seem to crash with more frequency than ever before. They run slower, buggier, and require more and more resources than ever before. And the consistency between apps in dumbfounding... why are color panels different in every app? Why is the text engine different in every app? Why don't we have an adaptive UI size in PS and ID like we do in AI? Why doesn't Adobe implement basic OS-level functionality like Full Screen interface?

Don't even get me started with the abomination that is Acrobat.

I would switch to Affinity apps in a heartbeat... but the professional world (at least the print design world) has not, and likely never will switch away from Adobe.

Reactions: qoop

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Give it a few years. I used to think the same thing about QuarkXPress.
I don't see it as even close to the same situation. XPress was one application that got supplanted by a better one in one specific field. Today, we're not talking about a single app, it's not even enough to replace the three print apps - you have to also replace Acrobat, Bridge, Dreamweaver, Premiere, After Effects, and more. If an ad agency uses any one of those other products, they have to pay for the whole suite anyway—so cost isn't a factor.

Further, Quark XPress was easy to leave behind, because it replaced Aldus Pagemaker just a few years after the birth of Desktop Publishing, and InDesign only had to replace four or five years of Quark XPress dominance. Affinity apps would effectively have to replace decades of files and built-up experience by designers and production folks in those three apps, but also have to release and replace all those ancillary apps that the business has come to rely on.

I can totally see Affinity grabbing a good-sized market share of freelance print designers and a ton of web designers, but anyone who has to share working files will have to wait for all their partners, vendors, and clients to make the switch as well.

I just don't see it happening... not in a few years, not even in 5 to 10 years. Of course, miracles...

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
I suppose your case is correct.

What I do foresee is that a print magazine or newspaper could switch to Affinity Publisher and deliver files to the printer as .pdfs.

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
In the case of Adobe losing its place in the market, it'd take a lot for it to happen. Right now they have some healthy competition on the rise, but lets not forget, they had that before. And they just ended up buying them out.. Rest In Peace Macromedia.

I think the only way we will ever see Adobe drop off as the top dog in certain fields is if they get someone barking at the door with some REAL power behind them AS WELL as Adobe just making some colossal mistakes one after the other.

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
As was mentioned already about Quark, that was one application. Adobe houses an entire SUIT of applications ranging from Graphic Design based to Video Editing, up to Print and Product Marketing.

That will not be an easy Jenga tower to topple folks.

Reactions: MacGizmo

qoop

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2021
THE UNITED KINGDOM
I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I went back to Quark. InDesign was so slow on my 12 core MacPro, it was unreal. I know Quark is an antique, but at least it's a fast antique. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.